Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computer Help/Discussion Thread

+19
TNine
Vigil
Rotaretilbo
KrAzY
Gauz
RX
Kasrkin Seath
tiny tim
Ascendant Justice
Maeve
Elabajaba
Angatar
CivBase
Divine Virus
Felix
Vtrooper
Lord Pheonix
KristallNacht
A_Bearded_Swede
23 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Computer Help/Discussion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Computer Help/Discussion Thread

Post by Vtrooper Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:06 pm

ok, i'm sending it to the manufacturer to get fixed.

didn't get to say anything about the power related crashes though...
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Computer Help/Discussion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Computer Help/Discussion Thread

Post by Angatar Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm not sure if this goes here, but what's a good wireless router?
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 pm

netgear make good routers, thats what mine is
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Cisco/Linksys also makes good quality routers. Most of my experience has been with their routers and I can't complain.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:52 pm

I've used Netgear and Linksys and they've always been rather good.

Better with Netgear though.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:32 am

We had an issue with our computers either refusing wired connection or wireless connection from our Netgear router after System Recovery. It was annoying.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:20 pm

I suppose the installation of the router wasn't carried over from the restore and you could just reinstall it, but im sure you probably thought of that.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:02 pm

It was after we'd reinstalled the software. Sometimes, the computer would just pretend like it didn't have an ethernet port, or that it didn't have a wireless USB thingy plugged in.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:12 pm

This was probably already disussed before, but I want to ask anyway...

What is a good anti-virus program that I should download and have on my laptop? Free download of course, I know they do exist. Please & thank you.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:20 pm

I use Malwarebytes and AVG at same time.

Worked well enough so far.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:23 pm

just using google chrome and windows firewall is good enough for almost anything.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Okay. Duely listed. Any others or support for these will be appreciated. Etc etc.

Well on that note of what NT said. I know everyone has their favs when it comes to an IB, so should I just choose between FireFox and Chrome or what? These two I hear the most about.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I prefer Firefox mainly because i love the add blocker app. It allows me to not watch any ads on youtube or anywhere! =D
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Spekwyse wrote:I prefer Firefox mainly because i love the add blocker app. It allows me to not watch any ads on youtube or anywhere! =D

This and it's got quite a few different apps that improve your internet surfing.

Just search their app thing and download ones you like (all free of course)
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38 pm

PEOPLEZ!

Does anyone have any rec's for Desktops or Laptops? I'm looking $1500 or under range. Either a good laptop OR a good desktop and a crappy netbook.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:27 pm

If all you're looking for is mobile web, just get a smartphone.

Can't help you much with the desktop. I'll be looking into building one in the coming months, so I haven't payed much attention to the pre-builts. New Egg usually has a decent selection, though.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:08 pm

CivBase wrote:If all you're looking for is mobile web, just get a smartphone.

Can't help you much with the desktop. I'll be looking into building one in the coming months, so I haven't payed much attention to the pre-builts. New Egg usually has a decent selection, though.

Eh, a bit more than mobile web. Something to carry to printers, put mah chat clients on, use for basic word processing, etc. Besides, a smartphone and the related costs would probably cost as much as a netbook (and I already have a phone that I don't intend to throw out).
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:47 pm

I have a laptop, but I never use it for any of the stuff you mentioned that isn't available on a smartphone. But if you really want a laptop, go for it. They're just a bigger pain to maintain and aren't easily updated/expanded.

I like this one:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Special_Edition/ASUSAutomobili_Lamborghini_VX7/
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:20 pm

I use my laptop as a web browser for when I'm too lazy to get out of bed (mobile phones are detected as such, and a lot of websites change their UI accordingly; it's also annoying to type anything extensive with a virtual keyboard), for IMing when I'm too lazy to get out of bed (again, typing+virtual keyboard=fuck), and as a DVD player for when I'm too lazy to get out of bed.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:27 pm

You should try droid Razz
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:20 pm

I have a Droid. The problem is that, when I bought it, I had to choose between 4G and a physical keyboard. I regret that decision to this day.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:07 pm

The final problem is I can't play ZDoom and Skulltag/Zandronum on a smart phone. That is a deal killer.

Anyways, I baked my motherboard, and I shit you not, it's working again (spec wise better than it was before with like how well the CPU is doing n stuff). I added some thermal paste on the GPU and CPU and cleaned the hell out of the fan and heat sink to help with the overheating problem I was having prior to the failure.

I also ordered a new motherboard for a hundred bucks for when this one inevitably fails.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:13 am

I'm building my first desktop and it's coming along nicely. That is, to say, I've bought a couple harddrives and I think I've figured out most of everything else.

Since it's my first computer, though, I am scared to death that there is a minor incompatibility with two of the parts I'm looking at. Considering it's a $1600 rig, that would be a very expensive mistake.

I was hoping that one or two of you could maybe look over the parts briefly and notify me if you see any conflicts. Suggestions and other concerns are also welcome. Any sort of help would be very much appreciated. I guess you can just admire if you want, too.

These pages are all from NewEgg, but I might get them somewhere else if I can find the same part for a better deal. NewEgg is just convenient, though.

Case - Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Processor - Intel Quad-Core i7-2600 (3.4GHz)
Graphics Card - GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Motherboard - Intel Z77 NothingElseToSayAboutIt
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3
Solid State Drive - Crucial M4 128GB SATA III (purchased)
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s (purchased)
Wireless Adapter - TP-Link Wireless N 300Mbps
Power Supply - Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850W

I'm still looking for a CD/DVD drive, but that wont really present any compatibility issues. And yes, I'm getting a wireless adapter although I intend to use wired whenever I can. If you think of anything else important, feel free to say.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:52 am

I'm not an expert so you should wait for others to reply, but it looks fine. I did a little research and I came across several posts saying the Z77 was compatible with i7 and GTX 670, and I know of builds with that GPU and CPU combination. Also in those builds are your chosen RAM, so yeah. I think your fine but wait for more savvy people to confirm.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next