Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Combat Evolved?

+6
Rasq'uire'laskar
CivBase
dragoon9105
Felix
Rotaretilbo
Divine Virus
10 posters

Go down

Combat Evolved? Empty Combat Evolved?

Post by Divine Virus Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:31 am

So I came across this video while on TheEscapist.com and thought it was a pretty interesting and strange theory/opinion about Halo.

Basically I just wanted to hear your opinions on what he thinks and if you think maybe he is right, wrong, if his theory has any solid ground or if he is just trying really hard to come up with anything negative to say about the series.

Link: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2428-Combat-Evolved

What do you guys think? Personally, I can see what he means and where he's coming from...but the whole eye color change to blue thing was really a stretch. IDK, I never actually heard anything like this before about Halo so it kinda caught me off gaurd.

Maybe you guys have already heard this already, so yeah. If a lot of you have already heard this before then my apologies.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Combat Evolved? Empty Re: Combat Evolved?

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:25 am

He actually makes some interesting points, though I'd note that the humans are all too willing to work with the Covenant later in the war when the Covenant is actually willing to work with them.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:48 am

I actually made a post in that thread. I still found it odd that he didn't take notice that the spartans are from from different planets, and are diverse. Same with the entirety of humanity's army. They can from all different races, planets etc. We just aren't AS diverse as the Covenant because they are made of entirely different species.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:07 am

Well, the Spartans weren originally intended to be particularly diverse. They were meant to be faceless, almost emotionless super soldiers. The thing was that Halo was calling into question the ethics of the Spartan program. That's what Halsey spent half the books doing: questioning her choice to start the Spartan program.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:Well, the Spartans weren originally intended to be particularly diverse. They were meant to be faceless, almost emotionless super soldiers. The thing was that Halo was calling into question the ethics of the Spartan program. That's what Halsey spent half the books doing: questioning her choice to start the Spartan program.

I know that, however, all the spartans (or most of) came from different planets did they not? I was just making that point against "Moviebob"
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:57 am

Well yes. Many of them do come from different planets. But initial diversity is overruled by loss of individuality.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:58 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:Well yes. Many of them do come from different planets. But initial diversity is overruled by loss of individuality.

Yes, I know. I am not arguing that. I was pointing out Moviebobs flaw in his understanding of the concept.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Halo 1's marine were more diverse in my opinion than any other halo games, British, American and Latin accents and phrases Razz
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:18 pm

Yah.... it's pretty obvious that he doesn't know the story behind Contact Harvest.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Hehehehehe....
The guy knows NOTHING about fascism. NOTHING. He's a movie reviewer, so his knowledge of fascism is limited to
-Nazis are EVIL
-They killed the Jews and Robin Williams
-They loves their precious artifacts.

In reality, that whole "blond hair, blue eyes" thing was a strictly Nazi ideal, and is unrelated to the tenants of fascism. Small minded people like the Aryan Nation and this guy might think differently, but w/e.

In addition, his whole 'multiculturalism' argument is bogus. Partly because the Covenant attacked first (not a strong argument in itself) but because Humanity is pretty much multicultural. We've got Aussies, Brits, Latin/South Americans, Africans, and even a few Americans. The Covenant are multicultural in the same way the American south was: One race lording all over the others.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:38 pm

I like how 2/3 of the images he showed to support his claims wern't even made by bungie

also, the covenant isn't bad because they are diverse... they are bad because they are trying to enact GENOCIDE on humanity.

going with his arguments this is like calling any jews who fought against the nazi's facists because they were fighting for their survival against the nazi's Neutral

the problem with giving shows to people with uneducated opinions... is they pass their uneducated opinions on to others Neutral
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Yeah, I think it's safe to say he definitely does not have enough knowledge of the series to be calling judgements like this.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:54 pm

of the series or of his claim all together
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Yup.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:16 pm

He's looking at the Big Picture though!
/joke

I dont think he's going to take his time to read every piece of lore concerning Halo before making that video.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:29 pm

KrAzY wrote:I like how 2/3 of the images he showed to support his claims wern't even made by bungie=

also, the covenant isn't bad because they are diverse... they are bad because they are trying to enact GENOCIDE on humanity.
Hate to play Devil's Advocate here, but that actually is a count in his favor if we view this as Propaganda. People who wage war on multiculturalism don't usually say "They're multiculturalists! Kill them!" They view multiculturalism as a threat, and depict them as such.

KrAzY wrote:the problem with giving shows to people with uneducated opinions... is they pass their uneducated opinions on to others Neutral
Moreso, it shows the problem of news and entertainment sites being paid by advertisers based on the number of clicks they receive. So, a provocative title like "Why I Hate Halo"* or "Does Halo Promote Fascism?" is just pandering to the base, hoping that the billions of little Halohaters will descend upon your video.

*Note: The author of that article backpedaled in the first paragraph and said "Ok, so I don't actually HATE Halo." The readers tore him apart for it in the comments section.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:38 pm

except in the case of the halo uuniverse... when the "multiculturalists" WERE a threat, a threat that on several occasions resulted in the extinction of human life on dozens of planets.

theres also the deep seeded inner conflict within the covenant... Humanity is willing to and DOES work with those who aren't actively attempting to KILL ALL HUMANS.

people who review games that they already admit to not liking, and then criticise story points can only be taken with a grain of salt, since they are already biased going in, and do not generally attempt to follow the plot.
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:02 am

Gauz wrote:He's looking at the Big Picture though!
/joke

I dont think he's going to take his time to read every piece of lore concerning Halo before making that video.
Well, if he isn't even going to read half of then then it is pretty useless.

Anyway, what I'm saying is actually completely hypocritical considering I haven't watched/not going to watch the video but I am criticizing him for talking about things without sufficient understanding...
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:20 am

KrAzY wrote:except in the case of the halo uuniverse... when the "multiculturalists" WERE a threat, a threat that on several occasions resulted in the extinction of human life on dozens of planets.

Rasq's point was that, if we view Halo as being propaganda, Bungie made the multicultural group an aggressive nation bent on genocide while the monocultural group using super soldiers who have lost their very identity are fighting for survival. The KKK will tell you that they are fighting for survival against an aggressive threat when dealing with multiculturalism. The point here isn't that the Covenant are not in the wrong within the story, but that the Covenant were chosen to be in the wrong and humanity in the right.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:49 am

Heh, boy oh boy, he was spot on about the characterization of Reach though.

I mean, if Bungie was still great at storytelling, so they could tell an engaging and convincing story without having to give faceless soldiers faces, then the Spartans of Reach really shouldn't have been the stereotypical cookie cutout action heroes that we got in Reach (badass girl with Russian accent, badass...everyone else on the team, quiet rookie, that saves the day...*yawn*... big softie with big machine gun). I mean, at no point did the Spartans need to take their helmets off and say clichéd action hero dialogue, and they really didn't need decked out armor, SIII's were like the disposable Spartans, and if anything their armor should have been more, mass produced looking.

I mean, I would trade the boring, stereotypical characters and their strange, out of place armor permutations for some genuinely Halo Spartans that don't seem like their always on edge/about to fight each other over nothing, with uniform looking armor and an engaging story that didn't rely almost entirely ON the character growth of Noble team, and the rookie passing off the torch to Master Chief (another big yawn in my book).

I was kind of looking forward to using the acknowledgement light system outlined in the books, you know, the one where the little blue light winked on your visor? But we didn't get that, in fact we really didn't get any sort of tactical system at all, no switching weapons, no telling people where to go, it was just a few strong NPCs that followed you around and made things a little easier.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum