Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GITEX 2010/Kinect

+5
Vigil
Ukurse
CivBase
Nocbl2
Zaki90
9 posters

Go down

GITEX 2010/Kinect Empty GITEX 2010/Kinect

Post by Zaki90 Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Through a weird set of circumstances, my entire family moved from Houston, Texas to the UAE this summer. This week is dominated by these two separate Middle Eastern expos. One is corporate and the over is commercial. I ended going to both because I had to set up my cousins booth in the corporate expo and then I just went to the commercial for fun.

The corporate was dominated by larger companies showing products to other companies and was filled with cool gadgets and showing off what each company would have to offer to the other companies. This event was closed off to the public, and required a pass to enter. Nothing that would interest individual consumers.

The consumer expo was open to the public with a small fee, but had alot of cool things to see and try out. There were many stands that were actually selling there items, and some were bed sheets, but that because were in the middle east. I played some Avatar the game in 3D. 3d gaming really makes a large difference in third person games, but I don't see them entirely useful in FPS gaming.

I never saw any Wii stalls out there. But the PS3 had a stand up with the Move. Nothing special though.

The last thing I saw was the Xbox 360 Booth, which was Kinect dominated. There was a center stage with some people being chosen to get up on stage and play some dancing game were they would have moves and play them. Well two 13 year old Indian kids somehow got chosen and ended dancing in front of a large audience with these weird gestures. And the song chosen was an 80's song. The Kinect handled pretty well, and did pretty good, it was the kids would sucked balls at it. Eventually the song ended, and two employees put on ping-pong.

I ended up registering and playing the 4 other kinetic games located behind the main stage. The first one I played was Kinect Adventures, which is absolutely no fun at all. The jumping and turning makes this game fatal after 30 minutes and is defiantly worse than Wii Sports. If you get Kinect bundled with Adventures, go buy another game. Another thing I noticed is the lag time when you have to put your hand to play again, which is very slow and the Kinetic gets very confused with two people. Or if someone to the left puts his hand up and then puts it down, and then the person on the right puts his hand and tries to get his hand on the button.

The next game I played was this Kinect car racing game, which was fun, for about 30 minutes. You played putting your hands up and driving it like a steering wheel, and you would put your hands back to charge for a boost. No lag time here, but the second you go off 90 degree angle that is your steering wheel, the Kinect gets confused.

The third game I played was a volley ball game. Where you and a friend would play against the computer. Its essentially a large quicktime event, in which you constantly repeat hit to pass it to your friend, and then he hits it back, and then you jump, and each time it alternates. Also not playable for longer than 30 minutes due to its repetitiveness.

The last game I played was Kinectimals. Which was done right terrible. And I'm not saying this because I'm too old for this game, I'm saying it because this 7 year old girl went in and within a couple of minutes, drove the Kinetic and this black cat crazy. The recognition was very flawed, and was only able to get the jumps in. And if two things were done right after each other, the Kinect would mess up and do something different. I went up and tried it, and the controls were very flonky, and none of the actions were explained. The chick working there was nice enough to teach me what different things to do. Which sitting down was never recognized and I even tried rolling.

This Kinect still needs alot of tuning, and Microsoft is rushing it out because of the Move and the Wii. This could become a well rounded item, but I feel it still a diamond in the rough. And Microsoft is about to sell it raw.

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

GITEX 2010/Kinect Empty Re: GITEX 2010/Kinect

Post by Nocbl2 Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Well, we knew Kinect was going to blow from the start.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:28 pm

I think the kinect had potential to be something big in a different way than the Wii was... but M$ was too busy trying to nose into Nintendo's market instead of creating their own market.

It's just like the Zune. They have something really cool, but they're too busy with copying their competition to realize that they have something new and fantastic. Even in computers, where M$ is unarguable top dogs, they keep trying to copy Apple's simplicity instead of going with what they have. While the new operating systems have some neat additions and run much more efficiently... I prefer XP's straightforwardness.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:03 am

I don't trust anything Peter Molyneux advertises.

Motion Controls were gay, a waste of time, and gimmicky for the Wii, and Microsoft/Sony think they can do better...

They have soiled this generation, people are going to look back at now and talk about how retarded people used to be, and question why we weren't content with a Keyboard & Mouse/Controller.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:00 am

Whenever anybody talks about the Kinect, this immediately comes to mind.

Does MS seriously think any of us will buy this?
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:51 am

I will
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:59 am

Simple question: Why?

It barely works at best and it's catered to a very casual audiance, and I seriously doubt they'll ever be able to incorporate it properly into the present core base of customers.

If you want it for non-gamers parties just play Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

I'm really struggling for a reason to even contemplate getting one.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am

Vigil wrote:Whenever anybody talks about the Kinect, this immediately comes to mind.

Does MS seriously think any of us will buy this?

That little girl is being paid, an actor, and probably had practice playing the game multiple times before this demo.

The game doesn't really explain to you what the different signs you can do with your hands, which caused me trouble aswell.

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:59 pm

regardless i'm getting kinect for minority report menu navigation lol

plus my abundance of disposable income
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:40 am

I have the income to get it if I so desired, but I'd rather save it for things I actually give a damn about, like all the games coming out over the next 2 months and beyond.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:48 am

Vigil wrote:I have the income to get it if I so desired, but I'd rather save it for things I actually give a damn about, like all the games coming out over the next 2 months and beyond.

you have enough to get it...I have enough to have no reason not to
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:54 am

Then it's spending for spending's sake.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:31 pm

I am going to wait until i can play an actual game with kinect's motion controls, if i wanted to play with crappy virtual animals i would buy nintendogs and save a good amount of green.

When i can hold a virtual gun and blow people's heads off in a motion based Fallout game i will buy kinect.
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Supposedly they'll be coming out with better stuff soon... maybe a GOOD dance game? Still, it'll be a while before there's enough good content to justify buying the kinect.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyxknight Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:29 am

CivBase wrote:Supposedly they'll be coming out with better stuff soon... maybe a GOOD dance game? Still, it'll be a while before there's enough good content to justify buying the kinect.
well to only gamei could see getting kinect for is steel battalion: heavy armor
Onyxknight
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 am

I didn't get that game.

Why would you go to from an uber-elaborate and realistic control scheme, to not controller at all and you waving your arms around like a spaz?
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyxknight Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Vigil wrote:I didn't get that game.

Why would you go to from an uber-elaborate and realistic control scheme, to not controller at all and you waving your arms around like a spaz?
i have still yet to find it, out honestly id rather have an other 200+ button controler for the xbox
Onyxknight
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:16 am

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/04/kinect-review/

Pretty much confirmed why I'm not getting it.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down