Media Bias

Go down

Media Bias Empty Media Bias

Post by CivBase on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:26 pm

I read the Fox news debate thread. Wow.

I must say, Avenged, that I am very disappointed. Fox has a definite conservative tilt, despite their claims that they are "fair and balanced". Anyone with more than two functioning brain cells and a cable TV can see that. Still, just because they're the only conservative major news network doesn't mean they're they only biased one. Aside from Fox, all other major news networks are tilted liberal (severity differs).

In fact, in the past fourteen elections, republicans won seven presidential seats while democrats only won five. For every one of the elections, had it only been journalists and reporters voting, the democrats would have won every time. Also, around 60% of journalists in 2004 would have voted for Kerry. Only 20% would have voted for Bush and the remaining 20% refused to say. In a similar case with Regan, the media was split 65/35 against him, despite his landslide victory.

You can whine all you want about Fox being conservative, but other networks have just as much blood on their hands. That's why this thread is going to take a slightly different approach to the bias debate.

Should media bias be acceptable?

It's impossible to get rid of bias all together, but is the kind of bias we see in MSNBC and Fox okay? Can it actually be good for us?

PS: In my opinion, Fox's reports tend to be less biased than many. Yes, Glen Beck, Bill O'Reilly, Hannity, Huckabee, and Rush Limbaugh are obviously very conservative in their shows (often to the point of annoyance), but I'd consider that "the news" about as much as I would the Tonight Show. I'm talking about their actual news reports. They pick and choose to suit their audience (kinda hard to make money otherwise), but their actual reports usually aren't as tilted as people make them out to be.[i]

Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Media Bias Empty Re: Media Bias

Post by KrAzY on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Media bias is fine as long as the people watching are aware of the bias... which many are not...

as is why we end up with people spewing forth completely biased arguments on issues that they in reality know noth9ing about.

Fox News itself is actually pretty unbiased... I find most news networks to be, by themselfs, pretty unbiased... its, as you said, the people interviewed and included that bring in the bias... and face it, a conservitabe news nettwork isn't going to bring on a major leftwing nut... just like a Liberal network isn't going to bring on a right wing nut.

again, a big issue here is the unbalance between conservative and liberal news... just remember back to 2008 all of the people who voted for obama siimply because of media hype... half the people I talked to knew nothing about the issues...

its all about the people watching, not the station itself
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Avenged on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:49 pm

The only cable news channel that isn't biased is CNN but even they can tilt left at times but 99% of the time they seem to be fair and balanced

Avenged
Minion

Male Number of posts : 983
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:19 pm

You're serious?! CNN is your example of fair and balanced? That is the single most silly thing I've heard all day. They aren't as bad as MSNBC, but CNN is easily on par with FOX.

Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:You're serious?! CNN is your example of fair and balanced? That is the single most silly thing I've heard all day. They aren't as bad as MSNBC, but CNN is easily on par with FOX.

The problem with Fox news is not that they're biased, but that they are, far more than any other cable news network, fear-mongering. It's one thing for MSNBC to prestigiously look down on and snicker at all those "crazy conservatives." It's another thing entirely for Fox News to give self-absorbed pundits like Glenn Beck an opportunity to spread their ignorance.

Yes, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity are not part of Fox' "new's block," but that doesn't make it any more appropriate for them to be handing people like that a microphone.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:49 am

Well, I'm going to post once here, and never again.

Ironically, it seems that comedic liberal bias, is the most centered. Jon Stewart skewers everyone. Including Obama, and MSNBC, and CNN, and pretty much anything that he doesn't agree with.

Though, not to say that it's perfect. Obviously nobody's right all the time, and Bill Maher's bias against religion and anyone who believes in anything is just disgusting. The last time I watched part of his show, he pretty much said that anyone who practiced any religion was incapable of any logical thought.

There's a reason it was the last time I watched it...
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Avenged on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:51 am

You can't be serious at all. CNN at least reports news but fox just reports what ever they can to make liberals look bad.

Avenged
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:52 am

If you don't want media bias, you might consider getting your news from outside the US, like BBC news, or even Japanese news.

As far as getting the latest scoop, all news networks are basically the same (probably because they copy each other 95% of the time), and if you want to hear about that gorilla escaping from the zoo and mauling someone to death, then any news station will present the same story because there's not much spin they can put on such a story.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:44 am

Avenged wrote:You can't be serious at all. CNN at least reports news but fox just reports what ever they can to make liberals look bad.

From my perspective, it's the other way around. CNN reports anything just to make conservatives look bad and FOX just reports news. But, I understand that this is a perception problem, because I'm conservative, and so I'm less likely to notice FOX's bias. Trust me, they are both biased. CNN has gotten better (it used to be worse than MSNBC), because it is a little less focused on liberal bias and more focused on sensationalism. It is, however, still on par with FOX when it comes to media bias.

Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Avenged on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:07 pm

If there is one thing i HATE about MSNBC and Fox News it is that they don't report the things that actually put our country in danger. For instance Iran will get nukes thats obvious but no one cares they care more about a mosque being built or Lindsay Lohan going to jail but not the bombs that could possibly kill hundreds of thousands of people. Why? Because that does not get the political candidate who they want to get elected elected.

Avenged
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Avenged wrote:If there is one thing i HATE about MSNBC and Fox News it is that they don't report the things that actually put our country in danger. For instance Iran will get nukes thats obvious but no one cares they care more about a mosque being built or Lindsay Lohan going to jail but not the bombs that could possibly kill hundreds of thousands of people. Why? Because that does not get the political candidate who they want to get elected elected.

...Didn't FOX cover that like over and over?

Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Iran getting a nuclear reactor was reported on Fox news

I don't know what news source you are getting that says Iran has nuclear bombs though... there is quite a leap between a nuclear reactor using 40% enriched uranium, to a nuclear bomb which required 90% enriched uranium, a weapons platform, and a desire to have your own country obliterated the moment you even attempt to launch one
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:23 pm

From an outside perspective with a lot of American influence I've got the impression that Fox news/the Reblicans are the crazy, fear monger idiots. To be fair the only thing I've seen of Fox news is stuff like the Mass Effect blunder; but the only other news shows I've seen that in have been local stations

BBC is supposed to be unbiased. It's actually not allowed to take sides at all. People say it's more liberal but I don't see it.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:31 pm

From what i've seen, everyone is always going to be biased, and noone will pick up on biases they agree with. I can't pick up on a culturally liberal bias because i am a fairly liberal person when it comes to culture. I'm sure many conservatives can't pick up on Fox's bias (trust me, it's there).

It's not something you can really fight. Unbiased means "correct", and what is correct is all in people's heads. Ultimately, people will choose facts that make their side look good, and statistics are so easily bent that the are hardly worth listing. The only way someone will be unbiased is if they watch every news sights and then do some research after.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:59 pm

You can't get rid of media bias. The best thing you could do is just watch the weather. lol
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Which is wrong anyway

Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7572
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:48 pm

"And today's forecast:"

*cut to a screen of red and blue states*
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Avenged wrote:You can't be serious at all. CNN at least reports news but fox just reports what ever they can to make liberals look bad.

From my perspective, it's the other way around. CNN reports anything just to make conservatives look bad and FOX just reports news. But, I understand that this is a perception problem, because I'm conservative, and so I'm less likely to notice FOX's bias. Trust me, they are both biased. CNN has gotten better (it used to be worse than MSNBC), because it is a little less focused on liberal bias and more focused on sensationalism. It is, however, still on par with FOX when it comes to media bias.

Take a look at this Rot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL1dAyaJmSE

The problem with Fox news is not that they're conservative. I'm not opposed to the idea of a news station that supports a certain set of principles. The problem with Fox news is the fact that they've so mindlessly aligned themselves with the Republican party.

MSNBC is clearly a liberal news network, but at least they're not selling themselves over to party politics.

In reality, nobody should be getting their information from ANY of the big three networks. If you want to find out what's going on around the world, find an article by the Associated Press, or tune into NPR, or the BBC, or PBS.

Those are the sorts of places through which we should all be getting our information.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:58 pm

Getting news about America from BBC.........

Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7572
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:52 am

NPR is usually slightly left leaning, actually. Which is rare for the radio, as mostly conservatives dominate that venue.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:51 am

I'm surprised to see the Dear Obama news network actually going against Obama on something. Very interesting.

Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:14 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:I'm surprised to see the Dear Obama news network actually going against Obama on something. Very interesting.

I really don't agree with what she's saying in that video though. She doesn't seem to understand that rights guaranteed by the United States constitution do not apply to those who are not citizens of the United states. That doesn't morally justify the concept of indefinite detention, but it certainly makes her argument invalid.

Anyway, try not to forget that NewsCorp (the parent company of Fox News) just recently gave 1 million dollars to the Republican Governors Association.

http://vodpod.com/watch/4261829-the-daily-show-news-corp-gives-money-to-republicans

Yes, MSNBC and CNN are also pathetic, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be ashamed of yourself for giving higher ratings to Fox News.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:46 am

Ringleader wrote:If you don't want media bias, you might consider getting your news from outside the US, like BBC news, or even Japanese news.
BBC is biased, too. All media is to some extent.

Like I said, Glen Beck and Hannity are not news, they are shows that Fox airs because that's what their audience wants. All TV networks do that, news and otherwise. In their actual news, Fox is no more biased than the rest of them. They just seem that way in contrast to all other networks, who lean in the opposite direction.

Here's a visual example. On the left, actual bias of networks vs Fox. On the right, how Fox seems in contrast to the other networks.

Media Bias TiltuMedia Bias Tiltl

Basically, I'm just sayin that Fox is given more crap because people use media with liberal tilt as their basis.

Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:18 am

I'm not giving FOX higher ratings. I'm just saying that a bias exists in all other major networks to the same or greater extent than FOX.

Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down