Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Russian Roulette...

+2
PiEdude
Rasq'uire'laskar
6 posters

Go down

Russian Roulette... Empty Russian Roulette...

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:45 pm

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/transmissions/article/2010-07-20-Bestselling-Author-Karen-Traviss-Set-To-Explore-The-Halo-Universe

In the words of C-3PO:
"Oh dear..."

Mkay, this can go both ways, like Russian Roulette. I liked "Human Weakness", strongly preferring it to a lame attempt to give the MC a shot at 'humanity', and a real lame "Spartan turned REBEL!" superdickery short. In my opinion, it was done rather well.

Unfortunately, Karen Traviss is known amongst the Star Wars EU fans as Karen "Travesty" Traviss because of the novels she wrote. She turned the Mandelorians into a Gary Stu-topia that even the Jedi wanted to join. More worryingly, she never read the other SWEU books, instead just asking the guys in 'charge' of the Star Wars Extended Universe for the names and bios of, say, Jedi who'd survived Order 66, or planets with such-and-such a climate.

That's not exactly how one should approach the writing of a universe, hein? When she took leave of the SWEU, the fandom rejoiced, for the most part. Not as much as they rejoiced back when Timothy Zahn announced the Hand of Thrawn Duology, but that's another story.

Haven't read her GoW novels, unfortunately, which are more recent. Would give me an insight as to how her writing has improved, but I'd say there's more correlation between the Halo EU and the Star Wars EU than, say, the GoW EU (Did it even HAVE an EU before she wrote her books?). Even if she has improved, there'd be another problem. Namely, everyone seems to have a different way of depicting the Spartans.
Screw that, everyone BUT Nylund depicts the Spartans as teenagers in 400-kilo power armor.

The question is whether Karen can mimic Nylund's writing in such a way that she doesn't derail the characters, or step down the road so thoroughly paved by Tobias Buckell.
If I'd had my 'druthers, I would have asked Nylund to finish off the GoO sequel and wrap it up, while having Traviss do her own duology-trilogy-whatever, hopefully something that doesn't even MENTION Spartans. That last part doesn't reflect my opinion of Traviss so much as it reflects my opinion of how thoroughly oversaturated the market is with Spartans.

And... Frankie? While we are on the subject of new authors stepping into the Haloverse... How about Timothy Zahn? Pretty please?

/l、
゙(゚, 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
The kitten wants Timothy Zahn, Frankie. Are you going to break it's heart? Please don't...
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Russian Roulette... Empty Re: Russian Roulette...

Post by PiEdude Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:50 pm

Rasq...I've missed you so...
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:37 am

well if she did mandalorians wrong to the EU guys, she did it in a way that was awsome, didnt like Etain, Jusik was Ca Va, Scout Magicaly lived, WTF was there a Kaminoin Jedi, did i miss anything?

either way i liked the way she Did Mandalorians, she just couldn't do jedi right, besides the RC books are some of the most suggested books in the gamming world and will have an effect on The Old Republic
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:54 am

Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:07 am

i also noted shes writing the new GoO book, WERE SCREWED!
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:52 am

She says she's writing her own saga. Good.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:07 pm

I love Traviss' writing, but if she does Spartans? Dear God, I should go lock the knife cabinet...
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Nocbl2 wrote:I love Traviss' writing, but if she does Spartans? Dear God, I should go lock the knife cabinet...

No, keep it out.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Ruski wrote:
Nocbl2 wrote:I love Traviss' writing, but if she does Spartans? Dear God, I should go lock the knife cabinet...

No, keep it out.
*Stabs Ruski*
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSS [/ubersarcasm]
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum