Daylight savings time: get rid of it?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Remove Daylight Savings?

Daylight savings time: get rid of it? - Page 2 Vote_lcap36%Daylight savings time: get rid of it? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 8 ]
Daylight savings time: get rid of it? - Page 2 Vote_lcap64%Daylight savings time: get rid of it? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 22

Daylight savings time: get rid of it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Daylight savings time: get rid of it?

Post by Nocbl2 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:30 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:I would also note that, because Europe doesn't use the same two days for their DST changing, it makes things even more fucking confusing.

For example, right now, in the United States, I am in GMT -8. However, when calculating Europe time, I have to pretend that I am in GMT -7.

So, when dealing internationally, your inconvenienced for more than two days even if you aren't in Arizona.
EXACTLY! Daylight savings time has no REAL use now... I mean, if it decreased fucking traffic accidents and crime, why the FUCK isn't it year round? That would make more sense.... Farmers don't need it, because one of the main reasons they had DST was so people could have more daylight to work.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Daylight savings time: get rid of it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Daylight savings time: get rid of it?

Post by BBJynne on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Traffic accidents go up for a few days after the Spring change.

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Ooo... here's a thought, though. Businesses like to operate during the day to decrease the need for lights... why waste an hour of electricity to run a place every day?

Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:32 pm

CivBase wrote:
Have I? I'm sorry.
You should be

CivBase wrote:Increased Voter Turnout[b]
...what?
The theory was that people would go to the polls more if it was light outside. This will change throughout the years though, so ignore this one really.

CivBase wrote:[b]Fewer Violent crimes
...what?
This was obvious civ, it's lighter out most of the time. Crimes happen when most often? At night, a study was done by the U.S. Law Enforcement Assisance Administration, and the results were that crime decreased by 10-13%. That's a good number of crimes.

CivBase wrote:Safer trick-or-treaters
...what?
This is also kind of a big deal...
Children Pedestrian Deaths are four times higher on Halloween than any other day. In 2007 a new law was passed to extend DST to the first sunday in November. This allows Trick-or-treaters with more light, and fewer traffic accidents happen usually. Though, you could argue that most kids wait until night to go trick-or-treating, but that's their faults really.

CivBase wrote:Fewer traffic accidents
Yah, during ONE of the days.
No... DST affects all the days after it. There are greater chances for pedestrians and other people who are driving to not get into traffic accidents. This could be offset by lives lost in the afternoon though...

CivBase wrote:Energy conservation
No, it affects the red of the days following civ. March 14- November 7, during those days, there are multiple energy sources conserved.

CivBase wrote:People like it
Yah, ONE of the days.
It lengthens summer days. For people who like summer, and that's a lot of people, it's better.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:59 pm

If you make it year-round, then it's not daylight's saving time anymore is it?
So therefore if it was yearound this whoel thread would be irrelevant.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:20 pm

If you made it year round, everyone would just adjust their internal clocks. No real difference would be made.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:11 am

Gauz wrote:
CivBase wrote:Increased Voter Turnout
...what?
The theory was that people would go to the polls more if it was light outside. This will change throughout the years though, so ignore this one really.
Kay

Gauz wrote:
CivBase wrote:Fewer Violent crimes
...what?
This was obvious civ, it's lighter out most of the time. Crimes happen when most often? At night, a study was done by the U.S. Law Enforcement Assisance Administration, and the results were that crime decreased by 10-13%. That's a good number of crimes.
I guess you have me there.

Gauz wrote:
CivBase wrote:Safer trick-or-treaters
...what?
This is also kind of a big deal...
Children Pedestrian Deaths are four times higher on Halloween than any other day. In 2007 a new law was passed to extend DST to the first sunday in November. This allows Trick-or-treaters with more light, and fewer traffic accidents happen usually. Though, you could argue that most kids wait until night to go trick-or-treating, but that's their faults really.
No, I'd argue that ten times as many kids are outside walking around at this time (and yah... I always went at night because that's what makes it cool). I mean, come on! Duh. Besides, it's up to the city to decide what time beggars night is, and they usually base that on the sun. Changing the clock doesn't make a difference.

Gauz wrote:
CivBase wrote:Fewer traffic accidents
No... DST affects all the days after it. There are greater chances for pedestrians and other people who are driving to not get into traffic accidents. This could be offset by lives lost in the afternoon though...
Exactly. The only day it would help is the day that people get an hour more sleep. But even that, of course, is countered by the day that clocks are moved forward.

Gauz wrote:
CivBase wrote:Energy conservation
No, it affects the red of the days following civ. March 14- November 7, during those days, there are multiple energy sources conserved.
You got me there.

Gauz wrote:
CivBase wrote:People like it
Yah, ONE of the days.
It lengthens summer days. For people who like summer, and that's a lot of people, it's better.
I suppose... a bit.

Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Chuck Norris doesn't worry about changing his clock twice a year for daylight savings time. The sun rises and sets when Chuck tells it to.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2