Portal 2 [SUPER MEGA SPOILER ALERT!!!]

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Portal 2 [SUPER MEGA SPOILER ALERT!!!] - Page 11 Empty Re: Portal 2 [SUPER MEGA SPOILER ALERT!!!]

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:22 pm

Spoiler:
Experiments are done due to Glados being PROGRAMMED to do them.

Pretty sure Glados straight up said at the very end that she had memories of being Caroline and thats why she saved Chell.

Then she deletes those memories immediately after lol

At 2:50 here she straight up says "being Caroline taught me a valuable lesson"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsOSwThxyss

Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7572
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Portal 2 [SUPER MEGA SPOILER ALERT!!!] - Page 11 Empty Re: Portal 2 [SUPER MEGA SPOILER ALERT!!!]

Post by MrX on Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:00 am

Sure its all speculation but lets not forget we see P-body is the single player story mode. (Its a Wheatley test chamber, unsure which one.)

And lets also not forget that this is valve we are talking about, they just love intrigue and mystery! I mean come on, they have a mysterious guy without a name that seems to have magical powers and a briefcase who decides follows you around in half life....

Valve love mystery and more so their players making speculations, to just say cave is dead and leave it at that with no hard evidence then I say to you: You have no valve spirit. (Of course thats fine if you dont....)

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Spoiler:
I just want to note that the Borealis was built on a dry dock. It was just a dry dock in Aperture Laboratories. Also, I believe it is canonical that Cave Johnson died. Though, there is a turret in the turret redemption line that you can save (for an achievement) who spouts lines that Cave Johnson later says like "Get mad!" and "Don't make lemonade!"
- Yeah but you know what i meant. Razz
Spoiler:
Why would the turret spout those lines? Just an easter egg perhaps? The turret was saved from redemption - Its death (Think about that.) Its not entirely impossible as valve even say in the commentary that they subconsciously planted ideas in the players head to help solve hard puzzles. (This allowed them to help with the puzzle solving whilst still keeping the eureka moment.)
MrX
MrX
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3080
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by MrX on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 am

Spoiler:
MrX
MrX
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:24 am

The Pariah wrote:Sure its all speculation but lets not forget we see P-body is the single player story mode. (Its a Wheatley test chamber, unsure which one.)

And lets also not forget that this is valve we are talking about, they just love intrigue and mystery! I mean come on, they have a mysterious guy without a name that seems to have magical powers and a briefcase who decides follows you around in half life....

Valve love mystery and more so their players making speculations, to just say cave is dead and leave it at that with no hard evidence then I say to you: You have no valve spirit. (Of course thats fine if you dont....)

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Spoiler:
I just want to note that the Borealis was built on a dry dock. It was just a dry dock in Aperture Laboratories. Also, I believe it is canonical that Cave Johnson died. Though, there is a turret in the turret redemption line that you can save (for an achievement) who spouts lines that Cave Johnson later says like "Get mad!" and "Don't make lemonade!"
- Yeah but you know what i meant. Razz
Spoiler:
Why would the turret spout those lines? Just an easter egg perhaps? The turret was saved from redemption - Its death (Think about that.) Its not entirely impossible as valve even say in the commentary that they subconsciously planted ideas in the players head to help solve hard puzzles. (This allowed them to help with the puzzle solving whilst still keeping the eureka moment.)
Right there is a good point I think. My only problem is that you're never told what year you're in.

Spoiler:
Cave says that if he dies before they can put him in a computer, he wants them to do it to Caroline. So he had to have died, or he decided to put her in charge anyway, which was never told to the player so now it's just throwing ideas at the wall. Figuring how Portal 2 really did seem to shut the door on Chell, both figuratively and literally, I'm not exactly sure how they could bring back up Cave, Caroline, Glados, or Chell. I'm thinking maybe Cave could fit in with the Borealis somehow in the Half-Life series?

Also, in reference to the G-Man (in the sentence where you talk about the mysterious guy with the briefcase), he is pretty damn magical. I mean, he suspended you in time and space (as far as I know) between Half-Life and Half-Life 2 and managed to put you onto that train, he paused time at the end of Half-Life 2, saving you. There's countless other things. Just wanted to point out that he definitely does have magical powers and somewhat of a name Razz
Carlos Spicyweiner
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 803
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:17 am

Spoiler:

Turret song:

Cara bel, cara mia bella. Mia bambina, a tra che la stima che la stima. A cara mia, addio! Mia bambina cara, perche non passi lontana si lontana da scienza? Cara cara mia bambina. A mia bel. A mia cara. A mia cara. A mia bambina. A cara, cari a mi!

(My dear, beautiful darling, my child that i admire.To my dear, farewell! My dear girl, why not walk far away from science? My dear, dear girl. To my lovely. To my dear. To my dear. To my child, My dear, dear to me!)

I'm pretty damned sure Chell is Cave and Caroline's daughter, who came in for bring your daughter to work day. Hence super potato. Also makes sense why GLaDoS insisted her being adopted and her parents not loving her.

On a side note, surprised the elevator could support Chell's weight.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner on Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:32 am

Dud Doodoo wrote:
Spoiler:

Turret song:

Cara bel, cara mia bella. Mia bambina, a tra che la stima che la stima. A cara mia, addio! Mia bambina cara, perche non passi lontana si lontana da scienza? Cara cara mia bambina. A mia bel. A mia cara. A mia cara. A mia bambina. A cara, cari a mi!

(My dear, beautiful darling, my child that i admire.To my dear, farewell! My dear girl, why not walk far away from science? My dear, dear girl. To my lovely. To my dear. To my dear. To my child, My dear, dear to me!)

I'm pretty damned sure Chell is Cave and Caroline's daughter, who came in for bring your daughter to work day. Hence super potato. Also makes sense why GLaDoS insisted her being adopted and her parents not loving her.

Spoiler:
In terms of the first Portal, there's an explanation with Bring Your Daughter To Work Day (as GLaDoS mentions it multiple times) that makes Chell being their child make sense and one that doesn't.

Makes sense - GLaDoS keeps mentioning BYDTWD, meaning it's stuck on her conscious after all the years (Chell would be a child when she first went to it, so it would have had to stick in her head for a while.)

Doesn't make sense - Depending on the year it may be a physical impossibility for Chell to be their daughter. Also, Chell seems to be mixed (at least in my eyes, looking at her on the back of Portal 2's box) which would make it less likely that Cave and Caroline had her (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110421114420/half-life/en/images/thumb/0/04/CaveAndCaroline_edited.jpg/800px-CaveAndCaroline_edited.jpg, portrait of Cave and Caroline. Inspecting that picture some more, Caroline does seem to have a similar facial structure as Chell)
Carlos Spicyweiner
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:
Spoiler:

Turret song:

Spoiler:
As we've seen what Cave, Caroline and Chell look like, I can agree to that, but Cave was pretty ill by the 1980s and would guess he was about 50-60 at the time, so the bring the daughter to work day must of been a good decade or so before then, meaning she must of been in stasis by then. The rest makes a lot of sense, as she was adopted per se' to the aperture science enrichment centre due to her family ties and her determination and her ability to stand out.

P.S. Thanks for sharing what the turrets say, it was bugging the hell out of me

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by MrX on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Spoiler:
He also mentions aperture sciences bankruptcy and how the 'portal project' is their last success. Its also mentioned in HL2 that the borealis had 'disappeared, vanished and taking half the dry docks with it too.'

However we know that the dry docks in the labs where it was built was intact without the borealis. Which means it was moved, or a false one was built regardless of the time difference.

And as for the dates, i remember seeing a few on the walls of the old laboratories. Im going to take a few screenshots and refine all of my findings into another thread that is spoiler box free.

And what vigil said ^

Also - 'Dad i am in space' 'I am proud of you son' 'Dad are you space?' 'Yes now we are a family again'
MrX
MrX
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Spoiler:
I'm just throwing this out there. A lot of people assume that the original Portal takes place during or just prior to the events of Half-Life 2, due to a line GLaDOS mentions to Chell, "Trust me, you don't want to be up there; I have an infinite capacity for knowledge, and even I don't want to know what's going on up there."

However, during the opening sequence of Portal 2, when Wheatley is steering your relaxation chamber about, take a look at the expiration dates marked on all the other relaxation chambers. They are all dated as expiring in 1996. That means that the events of Portal would have had to take place at least a few years prior to 1996, while the events of Half-Life take place sometime between 2000 and 2009 and Half-Life 2 takes place 30 years after that. It's possible that Portal 2 takes place concurrent of either Half-Life, or before or after, but Portal took place much before.

Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:10 pm

I saw somewhere that Chell was in stasis for hundreds of years between Portal 1 and 2

Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 pm

So... many... spoilers...

Just... one... click...
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:22 am

Lord Pheonix wrote:I saw somewhere that Chell was in stasis for hundreds of years between Portal 1 and 2

Spoiler:
If you look at the top of the screen during the final GLaDOS song, there is a date of 29827281-12-2. So It is a long time after Half-Life 2. And the opening where the announcer's voice says 'you have been in stasis for 50 days' then the second time says '9999999' but he get's cut off wheatley. But if that was in days that's roughly 27397 years.

Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:05 am

Vigil wrote:
Spoiler:
But if that was in days that's roughly 27397 years.

so a while

Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:14 am

Yep, so a long time after Half Life 2 and it's episodes.

Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:28 pm

I think the voice was disfunctional >.>
/obvious
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Vigil wrote:Yep, so a long time after Half Life 2 and it's episodes.
Hmm... strange. My sister said that she read somewhere that Valve was saying that Chell would be a character in the next Half-Life. Guess not.
Carlos Spicyweiner
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Gauz wrote:I think the voice was disfunctional >.>
/obvious
Yah. It wasn't exactly 9999999 days. That number is meaningless, just like the blinking 12:00 in the room with the toilet (at the very beginning after falling through the glass).

Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Maybe Civ, but that was the minimum amount of time, I expect it to be even higher than that, especially given what I said in my spoiler tag.

Valve themselves said they were playing it loose with the timeline and just trying to go with 'A very long time after'. But even in that case, I would safely say that what I said is still valid, and Portal 2 took place after Half-life 2 and it's episodes.

Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:24 pm

I would just like to note that Valve has stated repeatedly that Portal and Half-Life are very separate franchises, that there will be no cross-over, etc. The only link between the two franchises is the Borealis. Otherwise, the events of Portal take place prior to Half-Life, and the events of Portal 2 take place after Half-Life 2.

To my knowledge, Valve has never indicated anything otherwise, especially as to go so far as to say that Chell would appear in a Half-Life game.

Spoiler:
I do really hope that Adrian Shephard makes an appearance in the next Half-Life installment, though. He's like the G-Man's ace in the hole, after all.

Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:01 pm

They mention black mesa in portal 1
Spoiler:
And in Portal 2, Aperture is getting beaten by Black Mesa because Cave mentions them stealing their inventions
so I think there pretty well linked, at least occuring in the same universe, even if they won't interwine much, save for the borealis.

Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:I would just like to note that Valve has stated repeatedly that Portal and Half-Life are very separate franchises, that there will be no cross-over, etc. The only link between the two franchises is the Borealis. Otherwise, the events of Portal take place prior to Half-Life, and the events of Portal 2 take place after Half-Life 2.

To my knowledge, Valve has never indicated anything otherwise, especially as to go so far as to say that Chell would appear in a Half-Life game.

Spoiler:
I do really hope that Adrian Shephard makes an appearance in the next Half-Life installment, though. He's like the G-Man's ace in the hole, after all.
Wait, who is Adrian Shephard? I'm not too familiar with Half-Life lore.
Carlos Spicyweiner
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Carlos Spicyweiner wrote:
Rotaretilbo wrote:I would just like to note that Valve has stated repeatedly that Portal and Half-Life are very separate franchises, that there will be no cross-over, etc. The only link between the two franchises is the Borealis. Otherwise, the events of Portal take place prior to Half-Life, and the events of Portal 2 take place after Half-Life 2.

Spoiler:
Wait, who is Adrian Shephard? I'm not too familiar with Half-Life lore.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=adrian+shepard+half-life
From Half-Life: Opposing Force. He was another main character, kinda like Gordon.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:19 pm

I doubt Gordon Freeman will be fighting GLaDOS any time soon, but they are definitely the same universe.

Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:45 pm

They are indeed the same universe: that is pretty well established. But I doubt we'll see more than vague references back and forth. Valve has stated that they very specifically want to keep Portal gameplay (namely, the portal gun) and Half-Life gameplay (combat and stuffs) separate.

Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:36 am

Spoiler:
[adam foster]
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next