Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010

+15
BBJynne
Ringleader
Carcarius
czar
Nocbl2
Divine Virus
Rasq'uire'laskar
Ziggy
Toaster
Gold Spartan
Rotaretilbo
PiEdude
Elabajaba
Cheese
TNine
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What should next month's book be?

TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap27%TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 4 ]
TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap33%TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 5 ]
TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 15

TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Empty Re: TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010

Post by Divine Virus Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Hmmm...

I'll look it up. Keep'em coming if any of you think of anymore. Smile

EDIT: I just remembered a book I read and Loved. Enders Game. I bet all of you have read it already. I read it in High School and loved it. I really want to read the others in the Ender series.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010 - Page 2 Empty Re: TCF Book Club Resurrected-January 2010

Post by TNine Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 pm

I did not, in fact, read Ender's Game, but i'm pretty sure i'm the only one. So we won't put it in the poll, no point in having a book club about a book everyone's already read.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:51 pm

TNine wrote:I did not, in fact, read Ender's Game, but i'm pretty sure i'm the only one. So we won't put it in the poll, no point in having a book club about a book everyone's already read.

Oh, I wasn't making a suggestion. I was just remembering a novel I actually read all the way through. Razz Sorry.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:36 am

TNine wrote:I did not, in fact, read Ender's Game, but i'm pretty sure i'm the only one. So we won't put it in the poll, no point in having a book club about a book everyone's already read.

I haven't read it either, but I don't really want to. I know the plot, and I know the twist. And I really don't want to read about space soldiers at this point.

As for reading... I've been reading since I was pretty young, but sixth grade was when I really started reading stuff that was intended for adults. I think I read 10 Michael Crichton books that year, which, considering how slow I am at reading, is a lot. I also read the Count of Monte Cristo that year... which was loooooooong.

I think school is what has killed my desire to read. In 6th grade we did this thing called Accelerated reader, where you could read just about any book you like, and take an online quiz on it to earn points. Books were worth different points, depending on how advanced they were. I loved that system, and it worked really well.

Now english class has made reading out to be a chore. Being forced to read through "classics" like "The Scarlett letter" has really made me struggle to sit down and read a book for fun.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:03 am

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is pretty good. It's the book that Bladerunner was based on.

Roadside Picnic is also good if you're into dark sci-fi. It's Russian, so you know it'll be pretty damn dark.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:45 pm

ReconToaster wrote:Now english class has made reading out to be a chore. Being forced to read through "classics" like "The Scarlett letter" has really made me struggle to sit down and read a book for fun.

That's so true for me as well. Razz
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
RockaHolicGameR wrote:
RockaHolicGameR wrote:Suggestions for must reads? I like more darker and edgey-er storys. I also of course enjoy sci-fi, action etc etc. You get the idea.

Nothing?

Anyways, I looked up Clockwork Orange and I'm interested. I may make the effort to give it a read.
The Engineer Trilogy.
It's fantasy... minus the magic, magical races, yadda yadda yadda.
Not only is it a rather dark read, but it takes several common fantasy archtypes and deconstructs the hell out of them.
I have the first book, I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Too busy reading the Dresdan Files.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:20 pm

City of Thieves-I forget the author.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by czar Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:38 am

I bought sphere then finished it that same day. That was a couple weeks ago so I'll choose 2001.
czar
czar
Minion

Male Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:13 am

It's decided then.
We'll be reading Dune. You guys have one week (Monday of next week) until we start.

It's a popular book, available at any library or book store. Your library might even have a feature where you can order the book online and have it mailed to you.

If you can't get Dune by Montag, tough.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Carcarius Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:28 pm

ReconToaster wrote:thanks for picking this up Tnine. I did a pretty poor job with it the first time around, but I still like the idea.

I'm not sure whether I should vote for dune (which I want to read) or Space Odyssey, (which I've read twice, would like everyone else to read, and would like to read it again.)

I also wouldn't mind re-reading anything from Michael Crichton. I must say that Prey, from the very beginning, is the most fluent, exciting, and addictive book that I've ever read. Michael Crichton has an incomparable talent for making AMAZING thrillers.
WOOO! RIP to one of the greatest.
Carcarius
Carcarius
Minion

Male Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:It's decided then.
We'll be reading Dune. You guys have one week (Monday of next week) until we start.

It's a popular book, available at any library or book store. Your library might even have a feature where you can order the book online and have it mailed to you.

If you can't get Dune by Montag, tough.
Thanks for resurrecting. Totally slipped my mind x(
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Niffenegger...

Say that five times fast!
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Ringleader wrote:Niffenegger...

Say that five times fast!
I'm sorry, but as spam, I request that KrAzY delete this his post and this one.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Dune is an excellent book.
it's also surprisingly deep, considering that it's about Arabs, drugs and water.

and giant worms

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 pm

of the jormunger variety?
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:06 pm

no, sand

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 pm

So when exactly does the February Book club start?
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Get your book (Dune) by Monday, or we start without you.
I'll draw up reading checkpoints by the weekend.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:57 am

I got it. Are we reading up to a point by monday?

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by czar Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:46 pm

No, been have to have the book by then.
czar
czar
Minion

Male Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:06 pm

OK, people, with the power vested in me (And because I actually own the book =D) I have drawn up a reading schedule!

Monday the Fifteenth: Get the book, read up to page thirteen (End of chapter One)

Wednesday the Seventeenth: Read up to page 37 (End of chapter Four)

Friday the Nineteenth: Read up to page 57 (End of Chapter Seven)

Sunday the Twenty-First: Read up to page 97 (End of Chapter 12)

Wednesday the Twenty-Fourth: Read up to page 125 (End of Chapter 15)

Friday the Twenty-Sixth: Read up to page 144 (End of Chapter 16)

Sunday the Twenty-Eighth: Read up to page 196 (End of Book One)

Note: Dune is divided into three books: Dune, Maud'Dib, and The Prophet. It also contains four appendices and a list of Imperial terminology. All in the same book, like how Lord of the Rings is technically six books, but is always sold as a trilogy.

This schedule is designed to get us through Dune in about five weeks, if not a little more. We'll be reading in stretches of about twenty pages, except on the weekends. During the weekends, I feel that we can probably double that pace. Of course, some readings had to be longer than others, to make sure we stop on a convenient chapter.

On the days which we are supposed to read the pages by, we can stop and chat about what we think of the book so far, and about some of the plot developments we are anticipating.

Anyone with feedback or "I can't possibly read ten pages a day!", you have until Monday to speak up.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:16 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote: "I can't possibly read ten pages a day!"
If anyone actually admits to this, they fail at life and don't deserve to have eyes.

I would participate, but other books hold my interest more than Dune atm. So paying 6 bucks for a book I won't be reading anytime soon seems illogical.

Yes, I know there's a thing called a library, but some asshole stole my library card.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:44 pm

if I read it just last Dec do I have to read it again to participate in talking?

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:26 am

BBJynne wrote:if I read it just last Dec do I have to read it again to participate in talking?
No, but it would help to refresh your memory. Feel free to participate either way.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next