Avatar

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Gauz wrote:HOW THE FUCK IS THAT AMAZING MOVIE IN THE BOTTOM?!?!?!!
Behind "You Don't Mess With the Zohan" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".

That's it. I'm going to kill them all.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Age : 29
Location : Follow the cold shivers running down your spine.
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Gold Spartan on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Gauz wrote:HOW THE FUCK IS THAT AMAZING MOVIE IN THE BOTTOM?!?!?!!
Behind "You Don't Mess With the Zohan" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".
People are going to die. Soon.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Age : 24
Location : Kentucky, where else?
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Divine Virus on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Gold Spartan5 wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Gauz wrote:HOW THE FUCK IS THAT AMAZING MOVIE IN THE BOTTOM?!?!?!!
Behind "You Don't Mess With the Zohan" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".
People are going to die. Soon.
Start with Felix. He didn't even like D9.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 29
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by CivBase on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:37 pm

District 9 hasn't been out as long as those two, so settle down.

_________________
Avatar - Page 9 Bzsigy2
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Divine Virus on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:44 pm

CivBase wrote:District 9 hasn't been out as long as those two, so settle down.

Settle down?

Settle down!?

SETTLE DOWN!?

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's already out on DVD so it's not going to get any higher on that list.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 29
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by CivBase on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Well, then you'll just have to live with it. Razz

If it makes you feel any better, arranging it in alphabetical order puts it higher up on the list.

_________________
Avatar - Page 9 Bzsigy2
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Divine Virus on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:12 pm

Oh we'll live with it. Didn't ya hear? People are going to die. And Felix is first. Smile
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 29
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Vigil on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:27 am

Ringleader wrote:Does it need to carry relevance to the what ACTUALLY happened Titanic?

What the hell happened on the Titanic anyway? and why would it be preferable to watch a history film on it? I remember it was just about some old lady and her experience while on the Titanic.

and how was it offensive? did it offend icebergs or giant cruise ships? what are you saying?






It wasn't bad, it was actually a pretty good movie, just not the best I have seen, and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be the highest grossing film, because it obviously appeals to a lot of people for a good reason.

The story of titanic is basically a shitty teenage love story between one rich and one poor person, that their love can be the class system.

You could have set that story anywhere and at anytime. It could of easily been the Hindenberg, at least that would of have an explosive ending.

In my opinion, if you want to do a story about the Titanic, It should probably be a documentary. Cameron missed a lot of the acts of bravery and sacrfice by the people on the ship as it began to sank, like Betty Davis' character in reality had a key role getting people to safety, instead of sitting her fat ass in a boat and asking where Kate Winslet was.

Sure, you could argue that films about Vietnam and WW2 have very little, or virtually nothing about the actual sacrifices in that conflict, which is true, but I can accept this because it doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. That's the reason why Pearl Harbour failed miserably. It was filled with whiny love bullshit and stupid OH-RA Saber rattling American are teh best jargon. The Vets at the test screening of that film walked out of the theatre because it was so offensive to them. If anybody was still alive from the Titanic and they sat down and watched it, I wouldn't blame them for being offended as well.

It's also offensive to our intelligence. 3 FUCKING HOURS, to tell a story that has been done so many times before, in half that time. About 50% of that movie is unnesscary padding, that adds nothing to the story, and the fact it takes so damn long to get to the actual Iceberg and the sinking ship, It makes me want to just turn of the film and watch something better.

_________________
Avatar - Page 9 Viggy
Avatar - Page 9 House

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Age : 30
Location : Unknown.
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:23 pm

How the fuck did D9 get bottom? And the shitty thing is it can't get any more box office cash Sad. I don't see how Cameron expects Avatar to gross 700 million more dollars though. I'll probably pay into it though Smile. And Vigil, I agree whole-heartedly with your rant
Carlos Spicyweiner
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 803
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Felix on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:29 pm

RockaHolicGameR wrote:
Gold Spartan5 wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Gauz wrote:HOW THE FUCK IS THAT AMAZING MOVIE IN THE BOTTOM?!?!?!!
Behind "You Don't Mess With the Zohan" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".
People are going to die. Soon.
Start with Felix. He didn't even like D9.

Yes...I hated it, like I hate kittens and puppies.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Age : 27
Location : Unlocking Alchemy
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Ringleader on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:03 pm

D9 is at the bottom because its viewer range is significantly smaller then that of Avatar and Titanic, and all the movies up there...

You wouldnt take your little kids or grandparents to see D9, obviously there is more leeway in this respect to films like Avatar and Titanic (and the majority of films on that list), even though they may not be better movies, think about it. I like D9 over Titanic, but that doesn't mean that it is more appropriate or universal then Titanic, also it really doesn't matter whether or not a film is 1000% perfect or alright, people will still see it, and pay money to go to the theaters and see it.

The story of titanic is basically a shitty teenage love story between one rich and one poor person, that their love can be the class system.

Was it really that bad? No...

It was just a regular love story, and there was something realistic about it, instead of like, teenage vampires or something like that. There was actually some historical relevance to a relationship between classes.

I would prefer Titanic to other movies I have seen of similar and dissimilar plot/story structure.

You could have set that story anywhere and at anytime. It could of easily been the Hindenberg, at least that would of have an explosive ending.

What is your point? then there would be a movie about the Hindenburg that would make almost 2 billion dollars and you would still complain about it. Yeah, you could have used the love story in any setting, but obviously it was well orchestrated enough.

In my opinion, if you want to do a story about the Titanic, It should probably be a documentary. Cameron missed a lot of the acts of bravery and sacrfice by the people on the ship as it began to sank, like Betty Davis' character in reality had a key role getting people to safety, instead of sitting her fat ass in a boat and asking where Kate Winslet was.

WHAT?! That would be so boring! No one would want to watch it, and it would be a special on the NatGeo channel or the History channel, not even close to being a releasable movie.

Sure, you could argue that films about Vietnam and WW2 have very little, or virtually nothing about the actual sacrifices in that conflict, which is true, but I can accept this because it doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. That's the reason why Pearl Harbour failed miserably. It was filled with whiny love bullshit and stupid OH-RA Saber rattling American are teh best jargon. The Vets at the test screening of that film walked out of the theatre because it was so offensive to them. If anybody was still alive from the Titanic and they sat down and watched it, I wouldn't blame them for being offended as well.

They hardly ever do, and that doesn't mean the movie is bad or not worth seeing simply for that incongruence.

Pretending to be something that its not?! How could it not pretend if it wasn't exactly what happened? what are you expecting when you walk into the theater? If a movie is based off of real events, it somehow has to mirror those events exactly or what? its not watchable? I don't think that is a relevant reason why to discredit Titanic, as more creativity goes into making something slightly more unique then the actual events that transpired on the Titanic 100+ years ago...

Besides, for movies that aren't based off of real events, we don't judge them on how closely they mirror the real world or past events, so why exactly is this an issue with movies that are based off of real events? They obviously are not trying to make a historical film, so stop acting like that is what they were going for when we all not it is not.

I mean, if that is a practice you want to enact, then you would hate Avatar, because hardly anything in the movie is creative or original, even down to the smallest details such as the Flora and Fauna on Pandora to the story arc itself, there is little that is unique about it comparable to other films and what is real. Those spiral, retractable trees? Christmas tree worms...

And yet, Avatar was pretty good. What would have made it great would have been more creativity and uniqueness, but I believe Cameron cleverly made a stable film off to base the sequels, as he stated that this is the film he wanted to make since he was a little boy, elements clearly visible in his other films, such as Aliens. SO there is clearly more to the Avatar story.

It is a hell of a lot better to make good, stable movies then movies that will potentially flop (especially if you wanted to make the film your entire life), and a historical film on the Titanic would most definitely sink.

It's also offensive to our intelligence. 3 FUCKING HOURS, to tell a story that has been done so many times before, in half that time. About 50% of that movie is unnesscary padding, that adds nothing to the story, and the fact it takes so damn long to get to the actual Iceberg and the sinking ship, It makes me want to just turn of the film and watch something better.

Well, what was Avatar? 3 FUCKING HOURS to tell the same story that has been done so many times before? That is also, hardly good reason to discredit a film, you thought Avatar was "pretty good", as did I, but you have to admit there were scenes that did stretch it out, The DVD/Blueray release is going to include an extra hunting scene to add onto what already is an unnecessarily long middle section to Avatar, unnecessary, but not bad, its just that saying some scenes not adding to the MAIN story line is a bad thing is irrational...


In the end it was just an average movie, actually it was probably a little better then average to me, and apparently, many other people think so as well. To me, D9 and Titanic were good, they weren't great, nor were they bad. Not many movies are better then good, and hardly any of them are great, and I would hardly consider Titanic or D9 as great, as both of them had certain, discrepancies and incompatibilities with me that prevent me from hoarding myself one way or another.

Great movies are like, The Three Caballeros, and Jurassic Park (original), not, D9 and Titanic, and Good Morning Vietnam...


Last edited by Ringleader on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Divine Virus on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:03 pm

You see?! Kill him nao!
*whispers love you Felix Smile

Also, I'm with Vigil. Titanic is just a snore fest. Very boring and nothing interesting. Nuff said. (IMO)
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 29
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Felix on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:20 pm

RockaHolicGameR wrote:You see?! Kill him nao!

I only have one thing to say...

Snarf
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Age : 27
Location : Unlocking Alchemy
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Divine Virus on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Felix wrote:I only have one thing to say...
Snarf
And that's why we love you.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 29
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:48 pm

RockaHolicGameR wrote:
Felix wrote:I only have one thing to say...
Snarf
And that's why we love you.
That's why I hate you Very Happy
Carlos Spicyweiner
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 803
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Toaster on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Ringleader, that was an absolutely fantastic post.

Honestly, the thing that makes titanic impressive is the amount of work that went behind it. They built a 750 foot replica of the titanic, made each and every one of those costume designs from scratch, (with only materials available at the time of the titanic,) hired the company that made the original life boats, carpeting, and silverware to make them for the movie set...

It was old-style, collaborative, hard-core movie making at its finest. That's what made Titanic great. Authenticity was a huge factor.

You could say that Avatar is made great by the amount of hard work and revolutionary technology that went behind it... but I honestly wasn't impressed. I mean, the CGI was obviously the best around... but I didn't like the direction of it one bit. Certain environments (like the floating cliffs) looked really great, but the na'vi character models look fucking awful. I'm sorry... but... it's not that they're "ugly..." they just looks stupid.

And thank you, RL, for being the only person I can find (other than my sister) who agrees with me about D9. I really thought it was... entertaining at best. I don't understand what people find so impressive about these movies.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 26
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by BBJynne on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:04 pm

I haven't seen D9 yet.

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Age : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 am

Recon, what we call that is "Techie Porn".
I watched Titanic for the titanic visuals and special effects, and Cameron's attention to detail. Just like I pull out"Pitch Black" every now and then because the camera-work is beautiful, and so is the scenery. Same with "A Bridge Too Far".

However, I still like ABTF and PB and Avatar for their stories... So heh. Not sure what I was trying to say here.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Age : 29
Location : Follow the cold shivers running down your spine.
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:10 pm

I liked the part of titanic where the ship started sinking.

_________________
I AM THE LAW
Avatar - Page 9 Kasrki10
[00:17:22] @ KrAzY : new law.
[00:17:28] @ KrAzY : the law can now be a person.
[00:17:28] @ XNate02 : The Law, can only be The Law.
[00:17:32] @ Gauz : I'd kick everyone....
[00:17:37] @ KrAzY : and that person is seath
[00:17:39] @ kasrkin seath : YES
------------------------------------------
[02:22:43] @ KrAzY : the reason we all come to TCF is because Seath is too Lord Pheonix damn sexy to stop.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Location : Michigan
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Nocbl2 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Titanic sucks.
Avatar rocks.
I still don't have D9 on Blu-ray.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Age : 21
Location : California
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Ringleader on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:24 pm

What about DB13?
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Toaster on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Recon, what we call that is "Techie Porn".
I watched Titanic for the titanic visuals and special effects, and Cameron's attention to detail. Just like I pull out"Pitch Black" every now and then because the camera-work is beautiful, and so is the scenery. Same with "A Bridge Too Far".

However, I still like ABTF and PB and Avatar for their stories... So heh. Not sure what I was trying to say here.

And I... think Avatar's story is, like that of the Titanic, incredibly shallow and unoriginal. But hey... whatever.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 26
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:02 pm

What I admired most about Avatar was Cameron's attention to detail in creating the universe that the movie was set in. As one who wishes to design things of this nature, the work that must have gone into it was greatly appreciated by me. The story itself seemed somewhat predictable, but the universe itself more than made up for it.

_________________
Avatar - Page 9 Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 30
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Divine Virus on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:12 pm

I guess some for people the immersive and detailed setting and visual's don't balance the familiar story even if the story itself can still be appreciated.

Well I'm off to see the movie myself finally. So I'll be back with my results. But I have a feeling I'll like it no matter what.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 29
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Just got done watching District 9. Creativity and attention to detail was on par with Avatar, visual effects were not quite as good, but still pretty amazing, but the story was definitely better. Where Avatar felt like a movie, District 9 felt more real. Not to mention that the way the story is approached, it feels like there are no good guys, just bad guys and people that don't like the bad guys.

_________________
Avatar - Page 9 Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 30
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Avatar - Page 9 Empty Re: Avatar

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum