Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are you religious/not religious?

+29
laxspartan007
Carcarius
Chuckles
Kasrkin Seath
Gold Spartan
JB
MrX
Felix
kslidz
CivBase
Toaster
Ascendant Justice
TNine
Nocbl2
Dud Doodoo
LeafyOwNu2
Angatar
A_Bearded_Swede
czar
Divine Virus
KrAzY
Zaki90
Cheese
Vigil
Ukurse
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rotaretilbo
Gauz
Ziggy
33 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Why are you religious/not religious? Empty Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Ziggy Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:09 pm

From what I've seen, a lot of you here are pretty religious, mainly of Christian faith. I'd just like some insight into why you choose to follow a religion. This about you, personally, and not about everybody else who has any sort of faith.

So yeah, why are you religious? If you're not religious, why did you choose not to follow a particular faith?

I'd just like to add that I am not imposing any view at all here, and that I'm merely asking why people are religious.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Male Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Why are you religious/not religious? Empty Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Gauz Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:26 pm

More religious threads, entertaining.

Well I decide to not be actively religious due to my lets say, doubts. There is no evidence denying gods existence, or proving it. So we put him on the "I don't know" list, but the same could be said with faries and dragons. We can't disprove their existence, hell, they could be able to travel between dimmensions, so we put them on the "I don't know" list. Why does God get the attention? Promises of eternal, joyful life maybe? I don't know, but faires and dragons kick ass, so I might as well pray to them. Them or the flying spaghetti monster.

That and the Catholic religion contradicts itself... a lot. So much and so excessively that i'd rather not listen to their somewhat hateful bullshit half the time. While it may spread love, it spreads just as much hate if you look deep enough.

I'm semi-religious because my parents force me to be, thats why, otherwise I'd probably not go to church for 5 year intervals.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Why are you religious/not religious? Empty Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:36 pm

My testimony as a Christian is actually rather boring. I wasn't born into it, like some. My father was a backsliding Catholic and my mom would probably be called an agnostic (never really thought about religion). A local church had a program on Wednesday nights called AWANA, and it was a convenient and free daycare for them. I got saved during the AWANA program and went on to save my parents, but after that, things get rather boring. I stuck with the church and learned about Christianity. I've had some interesting experiences that I relate to God, and I do very much enjoy prophecy and watching it fulfilled.

Gauz wrote:Well I decide to not be actively religious due to my lets say, doubts. There is no evidence denying gods existence, or proving it. So we put him on the "I don't know" list, but the same could be said with faries and dragons. We can't disprove their existence, hell, they could be able to travel between dimmensions, so we put them on the "I don't know" list. Why does God get the attention? Promises of eternal, joyful life maybe? I don't know, but faires and dragons kick ass, so I might as well pray to them. Them or the flying spaghetti monster.

I'd point out that there is a difference between God and dragons. We don't know how or where evidence of God would manifest, but we do know how and where evidence of dragons or faeries would manifest. I'm not saying they absolutely don't exist, but they certainly don't exist on Earth in the manner that we generally depict them.

Gauz wrote:That and the Catholic religion contradicts itself... a lot. So much and so excessively that i'd rather not listen to their somewhat hateful bullshit half the time. While it may spread love, it spreads just as much hate if you look deep enough.

The Catholic church has actually gotten a lot better about that.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:50 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:

I'd point out that there is a difference between God and dragons. We don't know how or where evidence of God would manifest, but we do know how and where evidence of dragons or faeries would manifest. I'm not saying they absolutely don't exist, but they certainly don't exist on Earth in the manner that we generally depict them.
All the same, you cannot prove or disprove the existence of either being. People can imagine dragons and faries, and would imagine how you could find evidence of their existence. However, I could make up whatever I want, and I would also put it on that list. Simply because you can't say something doesn't exist, you cannot prove that. You said we would know how faeries and dragons would manifest and that they would certainly not exist on our Earth how we depict them, well going on that logic mixed with mine, I could create some astral/cosmic being of omnipresence, omniscience, omnipotency off the top of my head. We don't know how he could manifest, I don't, you don't, no one does. So now we could put that being on the list with God apart from my faeries and dragons, however, no one will believe in my new being. Why? It's off the top of my head and sounds redundant. Why is God any different? So in the sense that anyone could create a "god-like" being whenever they want with no evidence of its existence at all, I still doubt the existence of a God.

rot wrote:The Catholic church has actually gotten a lot better about that.
So i've heard, I still don't like the Catholic money pig church, however.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:39 pm

Well, I guess my story is a lot more interesting.
I was born into it.
Which doesn't say much, by the way. Arguably... Alright, let's just say it's not a 100% determining factor in what you believe. Closer to 65%. So, I went to church as a little kid, learned about the Bible.
Actually, at that age, most of what we learned was good manners, morals, the stuff that saturday morning cartoons should be teaching us.

And then came adolescence. I picked up a couple of science magazines, decided that they made more sense than religion, and spent a few months as the bad boy. I really don't like to talk about it, because it's embarrassing, but let's just say that I knew one tenth of one percent of the science-vs-religion debate, had only a faint idea of what evolution was, and thought I knew everything.

And so, after a few months of that, I got honest with myself, and decided that I didn't know crap. My arguments were crap, and I was just talking about evolution because it sounded 'sciency' and I liked being smarter than everyone else.

Hence, what followed was a period of agnosticism, where I tried to evaluate both sides equally to determine which had more merit. Over time (years) I was drawn back to Christianity. A few life experiences (nearly losing my dad, and then a few years later I found out that I came within a hair's breadth of him leaving, closer than I thought) have strengthened my belief in God, and I've ultimately found it more rewarding than atheism.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:42 am

Hmmn.
I was pretty much talking about this, this morning.

I'm not religious, I seriously don't believe in god as humans think of him as, and I doubt that any one person can think for even a second that they are certain they have chosen the correct religion.
Don't get me wrong. I love that any of us can belief anything we want to, and practice our religions however we see fit. I believe that there could be God, possibly even a heaven of some sort. I believe that organized religions like Christianity have a lot to say about life and should be listened to. But what I don't Believe is that any religion should even have anything to do with politics. I don't believe that all the religions in the world can be correct. And most of all I don't believe that anyone should be so narrow minded as to not even consider the possibility that they are in fact wrong about their religion.
All the Catholics think that they are right, and so do the Muslims. Unless they are both correct, then obviously one of them are wrong, and that means that for hundreds of years atleast one of these religions have been spreading a lie from one generation to another. It is easy to say that it it the Muslims who are wrong, and that it is the Catholics that are right, but how can you back it up, If you believe in it so much, prove it to the Muslims.
If I were to choose an organized religion the chances of it being the correct one is slim to none, which is why I don't chose one. Just because your parents believed in it, and their parents believed in it and so on, doesn't make it any more true.

Well, what I am trying to say it that you can believe in a religion, I am perfectly fine with that. But just don't act like an religious extremest. There is always the chance of you being wrong about something as uncertain as this, and if you go and convert or kill a million non-believers, does that make you religion correct?
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:58 am

I was born into christainity, and was taught about it during primary school.

As I grew older and more and more cynical, I really didn't see the point of religion, because it took a leap of faith into something that may or may not be real, whereas science seemed to have a bettter grasp on somethings.

Sure, you could argue that science is just as much a leap of faith, as very little has actually been certifiably proved, and a lot of ideas are still only theories. I still felt science was a logical progression of ideas and concepts, while religion, even though it's core values and ideals are in the right place, its too open to misinterpretation, which lead into some of the bloodiest acts of human history.

I have no problem with religion, as it does have positives, I just don't have blind faith in something intangible, though I would say I'm agnostic, as if there was a breakthrough or a sign, I'd probably be more inclined to believe.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:54 am

It's ironic that people claim that Christians brainwash their children when, in reality, something like two-thirds of kids born into the church leave the faith after they graduate high school, some of whom return and some of whom do not.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:31 am

I was born into somewhere that religious traditions were only carried out because they were traditions. This pretty much meant the Lord's prayer, hymns at Christmas and maybe a nativity of two. It was never suggested that the songs were real or not real. We just got on with it because it was tradition. As a child I think the concept of this debate would have baffled me - religious and non-religion were basically the same.

Nowadays it's still a non-issue. Even on the other side of the country. If someone said they believed in God they would probably get an 'Oh, really?' from most people, as if they'd just said they enjoyed marmite and jam. Little surprising, no big deal.

So I guess I'm just on the other side of the coin.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Well, my parents are like pretty close to Islam, but time constrains have recently slowed them down. My oldest brother has lost alot of faith and is not at all even near a Muslim.

I kinda a semi-religous person. I pray, do some community work, go to the mosque when there is a program.

While I do believe in Islam and the Quran, I feel that the followers have opinionated the words of the Quran. They did not "change" the words, they manipulated them to make it support their ideals which inflects on every other people who are listening to them.

So really, I don't listen to any of the speakers at my mosque. I have found myself looking at the Quran for my decisions of what is right and wrong. That's the core of Islam, the Quran.

Yah, thats me...

And for Rot,

How old were you when you convinced both your parents.

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:13 pm

Vigil wrote:I was born into christainity, and was taught about it during primary school.

As I grew older and more and more cynical, I really didn't see the point of religion, because it took a leap of faith into something that may or may not be real, whereas science seemed to have a bettter grasp on somethings.

Sure, you could argue that science is just as much a leap of faith, as very little has actually been certifiably proved, and a lot of ideas are still only theories. I still felt science was a logical progression of ideas and concepts, while religion, even though it's core values and ideals are in the right place, its too open to misinterpretation, which lead into some of the bloodiest acts of human history.

I have no problem with religion, as it does have positives, I just don't have blind faith in something intangible, though I would say I'm agnostic, as if there was a breakthrough or a sign, I'd probably be more inclined to believe.

this is about 100% identical to my story
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:19 pm

KrAzY wrote:
Vigil wrote:I was born into christainity, and was taught about it during primary school.

Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:19 pm

KrAzY wrote:

I'd say for me as well. About the same. Expect I'm Catholic, but you get the point.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Zaki90 wrote:How old were you when you convinced both your parents.

...it's been a long time. I was a second year Cubby...which would put me in...preschool...so I believe I was four at the time.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by czar Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:46 pm

I thought then I dropped it.
czar
czar
Minion

Male Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:12 pm

RockaHolicGameR wrote:
KrAzY wrote:

I'd say for me as well. About the same. Expect I'm Catholic, but you get the point.

Church Of England for me.

It's ironic that I gave up on religion, when the Church of England is one of the least authoritve churches in the world. They really don't care about anything you do, and they never order you to go to church. (I have only been in a church about 3 times, two were primary school, and the other was a visit. I have visited the great chatedrals though, like St Pauls and the Vatican.)
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:

...it's been a long time. I was a second year Cubby...which would put me in...preschool...so I believe I was four at the time.

Wow...

At the age of 4, you convinced both of your parents to change religions. Now that's something.

Zaki90
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Hmm...

Well, I was born into Catholicism, but my family and i never went to church.
I was never baptized, or had my communion, etc.
I don't really care much for religion, since my parents don't.

But I love god, not because that i believe in him, but for the fact of what he has done for this world. Yes he is the main cause for wars and such, but he gives people a lot of hope. which is hard to do. I mean if one thing, made up, or not can give millions of people a different outlook on life, its real.

Anyways, other then believing in god, my whole family and I are believers in past-lives and karma.

So yeah... don't know exactly what religion i fall into.
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:23 pm

Zaki90 wrote:
Rotaretilbo wrote:

Wow...

At the age of 4, you convinced both of your parents to change religions. Now that's something.
Either Rot is unnaturally good with words, or his parents are unnaturally stupid.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by LeafyOwNu2 Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Angatar wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:
Rotaretilbo wrote:

Wow...

Either Rot is unnaturally good with words, or his parents are unnaturally stupid.

I call Bull. Shit.
LeafyOwNu2
LeafyOwNu2
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 pm

I doubt he even used words.
Why are you religious/not religious? MewhenIwasfour

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:I doubt he even used words.
Why are you religious/not religious? MewhenIwasfour

Al Capone: You can get more with a gun and a kind word than just a kind word.

Seriously, Rot...

You must have been one amazing child.

Zaki90
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:33 pm

I could be viewed as "agnostic". I believe in God, or some other spiritual entity, but don't know if it's real. I follow most traditions of the Catholic Church, and the underling moral lessons of the Bible and wish to read the teachings of the Buddha. I believe that all beings have free will. Why, you ask? Partly because I was born into a Catholic and partially Jewish family, also because I feel like I want to discover something that helps me be a better person. This coming from a ten year old, fuck, nobody cares, but you all know I'm fucking different.

The "modern" Catholic teaching is retarded *cough* CCD *cough*, for the most part. I diverge the few things people say and do and adapt them to help me live a better life to help generations after me have an even better and fuller life. That's all I have to say. :Screwy:
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:40 pm

Angatar wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:
Rotaretilbo wrote:

Wow...

Judging by Rot, probably the former. Unless he's adopted.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Gauz wrote:
That and the Catholic religion contradicts itself... a lot.

Could you please elaborate...

Zaki90
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next