Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R&D HL2 Mod

+6
Death no More
Rotaretilbo
Toaster
Angatar
Ziggy
Zaki90
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

R&D HL2 Mod - Page 3 Empty Re: R&D HL2 Mod

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:15 am

Angatar wrote:Actually you need to model it, unwrap it, create the texture, apply it, animate it, export it, tag it.

Forgive me if I summarized, but you aren't helping yourself, here. I was arguing that it would take time to make even a small mod that only introduces a few new weapons or vehicles, and you're pointing out that it is more complex and would thus take longer than what I had originally said.

Angatar wrote:And I said the smallest change, not the smallest challenge.

Oh, apologies.

Well then, you must have missed the "significantly affects gameplay in some way" part of Rasq's definition of a mod.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:22 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Angatar wrote:Actually you need to model it, unwrap it, create the texture, apply it, animate it, export it, tag it.

Forgive me if I summarized, but you aren't helping yourself, here. I was arguing that it would take time to make even a small mod that only introduces a few new weapons or vehicles, and you're pointing out that it is more complex and would thus take longer than what I had originally said.

Angatar wrote:And I said the smallest change, not the smallest challenge.

Oh, apologies.

Well then, you must have missed the "significantly affects gameplay in some way" part of Rasq's definition of a mod.
1. I was pointing out that making a completely new weapon is that hard. If I do anything to the gun and put it in-game it's a mod.
2. It doesn't need to significantly affect gameplay at all. I can change the Assualt Rifle model into the SMG one and it's a mod.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:01 pm

Angatar wrote:1. I was pointing out that making a completely new weapon is that hard. If I do anything to the gun and put it in-game it's a mod.

Which, as I already said, isn't helping your case. I'm the one arguing that modding is hard. Razz

Angatar wrote:2. It doesn't need to significantly affect gameplay at all. I can change the Assualt Rifle model into the SMG one and it's a mod.

But it would be so only in name. A true mod adds content that significantly affects gameplay in some way. If you're going to hide behind the technical definition of modification, then this argument is over.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:05 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Angatar wrote:1. I was pointing out that making a completely new weapon is that hard. If I do anything to the gun and put it in-game it's a mod.

Which, as I already said, isn't helping your case. I'm the one arguing that modding is hard. Razz
Eh shut up. I typed it early in the morning and made a mistake by leaving out my argument. Basically, all I have to do is make a mod is open the weapon file, change a value by smashing my keyboard, then placing and importing it ingame. Not that hard.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Angatar wrote:2. It doesn't need to significantly affect gameplay at all. I can change the Assualt Rifle model into the SMG one and it's a mod.

But it would be so only in name. A true mod adds content that significantly affects gameplay in some way. If you're going to hide behind the technical definition of modification, then this argument is over.
So because I'm arguing what's right, I'm wrong? lolwut?
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:17 pm

You're hiding behind a technical definition because you know you're wrong.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:OK, how about we define a mod as a modification to a game which adds content (Which may have already been in the game, see Juggernauts and flamethrowers), but it significantly affects gameplay or style.

On page 2, we had agreed to define mods as above. You know what I mean when I say mod, but you can't refute my points unless you use a different definition.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:23 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote: You're hiding behind a technical definition because you know you're wrong.
I've been arguing this for the entire time, I cannot be wrong about it.
Rotaretilbo wrote:
On page 2, we had agreed to define mods as above. You know what I mean when I say mod, but you can't refute my points unless you use a different definition.
And you can't refute mine unless you use your definition.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Angatar wrote:I've been arguing this for the entire time, I cannot be wrong about it.

Your original argument was to suggest that mods were easy to make, implying that Research and Development was not difficult to make. You knew clearly, at that time, what I was talking about when I used the word mod. You didn't start arguing the technicality until it became apparent that you were wrong.

Angatar wrote:And you can't refute mine unless you use your definition.

I don't have to refute yours, Angatar, because by hiding behind that technical definition, any point you've made about how Half-Life is not better than Halo due to moddability is void. I know what I'm talking about when I say mod, you know what I'm talking about when I say mod, and everyone else knows what I'm talking about when I say mod, so, as I said, this argument is over.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3