Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vigil's Rants.

+42
mexicantaco1808
dragoon9105
JumpingJet
Spartan15
Gold Spartan
A_Bearded_Swede
Rotaretilbo
noir
Elabajaba
JB
laxspartan007
MrX
Chuckles
BBJynne
KrAzY
KristallNacht
Ukurse
Vtrooper
Dud Doodoo
Rasq'uire'laskar
Yam Head
kslidz
Divine Virus
Carcarius
CivBase
Nocbl2
Gauz
Angatar
XNate02
Toaster
Ringleader
Barbbachello
tiny tim
Ascendant Justice
PiEdude
Death no More
Felix
RX
Cheese
Lord Pheonix
Kasrkin Seath
Vigil
46 posters

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Vigil's Rants. - Page 6 Empty Re: Vigil's Rants.

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:58 am

Meh. I thought PART of AvP was OK (the fight between two of the Predators and Grid) but I can't stand the 'bonding' parts.
"You know what we call a moon like that in Italy?"
"No, what?"
"Hunter's Moon."

Oh, really? Darn, that's a clever piece of foreshadowing between two characters that we WANT DEAD.

In AvP II... the trailer was actually better than the movie. Y'know, the one with the population countdown?
And last I checked, French Impregnating is actually how Pretorian aliens impregnate in some of the comics. The problem is, the whole movie was done so wrong, and they targeted pregnant women for extra gore points.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:48 am

New rant later today.

Sorry for the delay, but I was going to do one about the early christmas advertisements, but I got bogged down in stuff to do and when I got around to it it was late November.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:08 am

Careful...
You tread on MY territory.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:28 pm

Vigil’s Rants

Part VI: Bosses, and how they have been beaten.

Is it me or have bosses gone the way of the health bar? I mean over the last few years bosses seem to have gotten either insultingly easy or just aren’t present at all.

I mean think about some recent games, like MW2, while it had a villain, and you do face in a confrontation, it comes off as a glorified cutscene where all you do is press a few buttons and bam he’s dead. This isn’t a new phenomenon; look at Skorge in Gears of War 2. Now in the original Gears of War, you had General RAAM, who was true rock hard boss, who would kick your ass, and beating on the hardest difficulty took a lot of skill and luck. Skorge however was insulting. It was just button mashing session followed by fighting off about 4-5 of his minions until he came back. It took me one attempt on Insane to beat him, while RAAM took me a good couple of hours to beat on the same difficulty.

Halo 3 had a similar problem. After Tartarus in Halo 2, although once you knew how to beat him is was pretty simple, you still had to put some into beating him, especially on Legendary. Guilty Spark can be beaten by strafing then shooting three times. You could do it one handed, or hell with your feet. Batman Arkham Asylum also had pretty poor bosses, with only Poison Ivy really standing out, as Bane and Scarecrow was repeated 3-4 times, and they were very simple. The final confrontation with the Joker is an absolute joke and is one of the few things that let the game down, as you don’t really fight him, you just tackle his goons like you have through the entire game then you punch him three times and he’s beaten.

Some games don’t even bother with bosses at all, which is a shame as in some cases it would be awesome. RPGs have a tendency to have large scale epic boss battles in them, especially turn based ones. Yet for some reason, Bethesda, who I like have a real problem when it comes to bosses. They missed out on truly great battles in both Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I mean seriously, you have Lord Dagon, a 50 foot Daedric god who you see, would have been a epic confrontation, but no, we have to sit back and watch him get defeated. I will give them credit that Umaril in Nights of the Nine and Jyggalag in Shivering Isles were good bosses, and they were pretty tough to take down. Fallout 3 misses out big time, as they’re were plenty of opportunties for some hulking super mutant monster to come out and fight you, hell even makes us fight Liberty Prime. Bethemoths were okay, but they were honestly to easy, one mini nuke and they’re pretty much done. The final boss of that game would be Colonel Autumn who I killed in one shot. The addition of some new creatures for higher leveles were good, but still, they’re basically minibosses, and stand no chance against you.

This year I picked up Lost Oddesssy and I have to say, some of the bosses in that are brutal. The first few bosses in that game kickied my ass with ease. The first boss is widely considered to be one of the tougher first bosses in a game. Sure he has a relatively simple weakness which can be exploited, but even then if you use it, it increases his damage to you, and he has several devestating moves that will force you to start again. Even as you progress in the game there are several boss that are very tough, the optional bosses in particular, but the sense of achievement for beating them is so much more than a simple acheivement unlock. As you progress through the game you get better and better at fighting these bosses, until the last battle has you use everything you’ve learned over the course of the game for a final epic showdown.

Fighting games, like Street Fighter 4 and the Tekken series just love putting bosses into their games. I remember when I first played Tekken 2, and having the second to last oppenant kicking my ass over and over and over, because he could flawlessly 10 hit combo me and there was little I could do to stop him. Even now, when I’m a true vet of the game, he still gives me problems from time to time, as does the final battle. Azazel and Jinpachi both are pretty tough as they are pretty cheap, but being them really makes you fell like a sense of accomplishment.

This is why I don’t understand why they seem to be dying out of late. The Japenese developers seem to be able to make them by the bucket load, Capcom, Namco, Nintendo, Square Enix, all churn out grade A bosses for their myriad of titles, but why aren’t western developers so keen? You can still make a game accessible with one of these bosses in them, and figuring out how to beat them and then doing it is a far greater reward then a few points to your gamercard. I like a bit of challenge in my games, something to make me strive to be better. Bosses fill that role perfectly, and are a perfect way to test and challenge a player, I just hope more developers actually see that and start adding to the list of the great video game bosses. It will be a sad day when they are no longer around.

I leave you with one of the hardest bosses of all time, as an example of how they can make a gamer better and the sense of accomplishment gained from it.

Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 pm

I think it's because a lot of games go for a 'realism' and a general that can take 50 AK-47 shots to the head and not flinch isn't exactly real.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:43 pm

I agree Vigil. Some games though I think don't really need/shoud have a "final boss" that's hard. Like MW2.

Which is why I'm glad I still have Nintendo games. While the final boss may not be hard at all, it's still present.

Good rant.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:54 pm

Have you played Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II? Its japanese made, so you're right about that, but the bosses in that game a really nice. They start out easy, progressively hard, until the last boss is just rediculous unless you're a really high level.

Loved that game.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Yam Head Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:09 pm

I liked the GlaD0S fight at the end of portal. Not the hardest or greatest fight but it was memorable.
Yam Head
Yam Head
Minion

Male Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:10 pm

I just watched that video of Hardest boss ever...

My responce: Good lord! That guys must be asian.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbbachello Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Yam Head wrote:I liked the GlaD0S fight at the end of portal. Not the hardest or greatest fight but it was memorable.
Agreed

RockaHolicGameR wrote:I just watched that video of Hardest boss ever...

Two words: Hit boxes. As bad as Counter Strike

You forgot some of the bosses in Ninja Gaiden. Some of the ones in number 2 are bloody hard
Barbbachello
Barbbachello
Minion

Male Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:28 pm

You haven't seen anything yet. That boss has another stage, and there is a video of a guy doing that WITHOUT DYING.

Oh and I didn't mention Ninja Gaiden as I haven't played it, though I know they are supposed to be nightmarishly hard.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:44 pm

I've never been particularly fond of having bosses. Sometimes they're necessary, but I'd rather games not go out of the way to have a cheesy boss battle.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:53 pm

Vigil wrote:

You haven't seen anything yet. That boss has another stage, and there is a video of a guy doing that WITHOUT DYING.

Oh and I didn't mention Ninja Gaiden as I haven't played it, though I know they are supposed to be nightmarishly hard.
I...I.... i cant beat the first boss, he kills me in two combos... and I have to kill him in a minute. That boss is so hard, he makes me want to kill myself.
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:56 pm

I can honestly say that boss was NEVER intended to be beaten.

Anyhow, I like boss battles sometimes. Halo didn't have any, and I liked it. Halo 2 had the Heretic (Hardest boss... and the first one) the Scarab (In my mind, it's a boss. And I liked it) but it also had Tartarus (difficult, and WAS kinda cheesy) and the Prophet of Regret (Come ON! It's a boss battle. Couldn't Bungie have at LEAST put in six different animations for punching the guy, more animations for his reactions, and more voice acting?)

It all depends. For example, MW2 very well couldn't have had a general for a boss, but having to take on a tank in, say, a closed gymnasium before it killed you, with only small arms, might have worked out.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:58 pm

Shit vigil, that boss battle is way to hard, and that guy must be japanese.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:21 am

Elabajaba wrote:and that guy must be japanese.

Did the anime girls screaming in jappaness give it away?

Razz
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:23 am

For Bethesda I'd like to call Dagoth Ur to their defence. He lived in a cave at the end of Morrowind. The combat mechanic pretty much sucked, but they still made the fight pretty epic through the room you were in.

You had two weapons that could kill him (you'd got these on prev quests) - a hammer and dagger. You had to hammer him good and then stab him in the heart; which was in a chamber in the middle of the room.

I guess this does agree with the boss battles dying though.

Also Fable two...

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:37 am

I haven't played Morrowind. I did think Umaril and Jugyalag were decent foes.

Fable 2's has no bosses. It has an assortment of mini bosses, and the final 'boss' is so insultingly easy you can win BY NOT DOING ANYTHING.

Jack of Blades FTW, now that guy was a decent boss, in both his forms.

Last edited by Vigil on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:51 am

Yeah that's what I meant by Fable two. Stupid expectations of a final boss.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by noir Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:31 pm

I really enjoyed the boss fiight at the end of the wind waker... it was really awesome Razz (Samuari swords!)
<3
noir
noir
Minion

Female Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2009-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:34 pm

noir wrote:I really enjoyed the boss fiight at the end of the wind waker... it was really awesome Razz (Samuari swords!)
<3

Sword in the cranium FTW!
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by noir Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Lol.. yeh that was funny! Very Happy
noir
noir
Minion

Female Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2009-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:59 pm

From what I can tell, the boss battle was less about dodging all of the bullets and more about dodging enough until you can deal a specific set of damage, which voids all of the bullets in the air and moves to the next bullet pattern. The player did very well at first, using his shields to soak up the bullets he couldn't dodge, but near the end, he just got creamed over and over, relying heavily on his quarters to get him through.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Yam Head Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:

In AvP II... the trailer was actually better than the movie. Y'know, the one with the population countdown?

The one with Silent Night playing was a good one too.
Yam Head
Yam Head
Minion

Male Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:03 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:From what I can tell, the boss battle was less about dodging all of the bullets and more about dodging enough until you can deal a specific set of damage, which voids all of the bullets in the air and moves to the next bullet pattern. The player did very well at first, using his shields to soak up the bullets he couldn't dodge, but near the end, he just got creamed over and over, relying heavily on his quarters to get him through.

That reminds me of the Magician from House of the Dead I and II.

Now he was a tough boss to beat.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum