Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diary of an Arbiter

3 posters

Go down

Diary of an Arbiter Empty Diary of an Arbiter

Post by Nocbl2 Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:04 am

Prologue
13th Age of Rejoice
Habitat Deroo

Toralee Sona trooped her way around her kitchen and over to her closet. She was a female Sangheili that owned a restaurant in a small town of purple buildings. Her pots, pans and utensils were stacked away crudely in drawers and cabinets. A central island was plopped in the center of the silver-white room. Granite walls reminded her of the age bestowed on this place. She had long tendrils of scaly “hair” out of the back of her head, grown long into her old robe. Toralee had gray-blue skin, a marker of her massive age and wisdom. A shimmering window of plasma looked over her dining area, no devoid of all but the most small life.
She opened the closet of purple metal. Inside, a legend was stowed. A long scroll, called a battle poem, lay horizontal on a rack. Below it, a variety of armors clung to plasma gurneys. Toralee’s pink and red robed hand fell over a small battle suit; only big enough to accommodate a seven-foot six creature. It was a gray metal, with long curves, and writings of which bestowed great power upon the wearer. An orange, double-pronged spear, along with an energy rifle, lay beside it. It was the last of it’s kind, like her; it was the armor, of the Arbiter.

Chapter I
11th Age of Restoration
New High Charity (under construction)

Toralee Sona shoved her way past a group of preaching Grunts and a Jackal mercenary. The lower district of High Charity had stone streets, all of which were crowded with grunts, jackals and those in school.
Toralee was in a hurry, and for a good reason, too. Most Elites were either taught by uncles/aunts, or went to crowded schoolhouses. However, Toralee was learning to be a Librarian, a job that required a steep amount of patience and grueling work hours. The Librarians filed all the written works of any possible kind, and often assisted Deacons during sermons. Today was graduation, and if she missed it, her life would almost literally end. She carried a book bag, a black one, that matched her skin and robes. The black signified her as a student, compared to the turquoise and white dresses that all full Librarians wore.
She stumbled past a group of shops, around a corner, and into a large “town square” type of marketplace. A large black building loomed off to her left. A local food shoppe `, accompanied by a drug store, and a fruit vendor was at her right. She sprinted over to the black cathedral, and into a huge crowd of students. All waited, like her, in black gowns and robes.
Ahead, even more Elites were being garbed in the turquoise robes by the highest scholars of all. The Gu’kar wore red robing with green linings and were renowned by even the Unggoy deacons. Of course, before the 7th (seven reference! Owned!) Rebellion, that wouldn’t count for much. That war had proven that even the lowly grunts could and should be respected. Over sixteen planets had been glassed and nearly the whole Covenant fleet destroyed. Hundreds of soldiers of all races had been put to the slaughter. The Grunt Rebellion had also been the first war to introduce torture. POWs were tortured, the torturers got info, and the victims were executed.
However, none of that, at the moment, mattered. Toralee was late, and she needed to find a spot.

Another name was called. And another, and another. Then finally, Toralee found herself approaching the steps, hanging on the edge of sanity with a nervous breakdown approaching. Silently, solemnly, she held her hands out and accepted her robes. She left the building, skipping her friends and the after party. She ran all the way back to her homely hut. It held her three sisters and two brothers, who were both in the military, battling the URF, or United Rebel Front, composed of grunts, humans and elites. They used old technology, like colony and harvesting ships.
She opened the door, and found a horrific sight. All her sisters, a brother on leave, and the kaidon of the Sona lay dead in pools of steaming blood. An assassin leapt past her, handing her his plasma rifle. She stood there, crying, as she looked at the bloodstained kitchen. Smoldering marks upon the wooden, old fashioned table splintered the thing apart, piece by piece. The battle poem she had woven for her brothers was torn apart and smoking. Apparently, the family had tried to fight, as there were noticeable weapons and carbine charges around the floor. However, a large hole in the other wall, the one which faced the apartment across the street, exemplified the use of heavy weapons and grenades, A couch and “molder” chair were shot across the room.

Toralee felt the energy bands around her wrists tighten as she tried to shake free. She was being dragged across the floor of the Council chamber, to meet her trial. Nothing was she garbed in; the mark of disgrace was clearly visible on her chest.
The Unggoy on one side of the chamber folded their arms and stared at her. The Sangheili, on the other hand spat in disgust. Ahead, the Councilors crossed their legs and looked a her, as if curious, from their hover chairs.
A Sangheili in the middle of those five was the first to speak.

“Toralee Sona,” Rtas’ Vadum began, “you have been convicted of the murder of your kaidon and family, plus the destruction of the battle poem given to your brothers. Do you deny this claim?”

“I do, as the assassin responsible fled the building, making me-” Toralee was cut off with lightning speed as the High Kaidon’s shout resonated through the room.

“Silence! YOU were the assassin! You held a rifle, one with a low charge, in dictating that you had used it recently. So, do you have evidence to deny this claim?”

“I deny it. If I did kill my family, why do it the DAY I graduated? And why would I kill my brothers and sisters?”

“Because,” an Unggoy Councilor said, “You wished only to kill the kaidon, yet your siblings attacked, forcing you to kill them.”

“But I have no reason t-”

“No, you do have a reason. You wanted to have the powers of kaidon, so you killed him. However, you were caught in the act, and shall be put to the death at once!” The clamor beforehand suddenly stopped in its tracks.

A lone councilor, another Elite, stood, and said, as if to himself, “I have a better idea,”

“But Thel, she has committed here-” Rtas’ turned to other.

“Haven’t we all?” The Elite looked around the room. “Dismissed,” he waved the crowds in the stands away.

“Fine,” Rtas’ spat in disgust, “You will be called into the chambers in three cycles. But you have three, only three, and will be put under max guard.”

With that, they departed.

Chapter III
11th Age of Restoration

80th cycle, 0850 units

Habitat Deroo, Militia Barracks

“Recruits? Why have I not heard of this?” Major Xello Fargur stomped around the levitating purple desk. He sat in his chair, and tore open his bookcase. He looked through his mail, records, anything. No information of recruits, training, anything.

“Well, sir, It isn’t a whole class. There is only one. Her name is.... Toralee. Well, more specifically, Sona Toralee.” His advisor spun around in his chair, looking at the door.

“Her? Why in the name of the Forerunners...”

“Well.... she is the Arbiter,” The Elite spun to look at his friend and superior.

“Arbiter?” Xello’s eyes widened, “A new Arbiter? Well, bring her in!”

Suka departed, and a moment later, returned with a female Sangheili.

Xello’s yellow eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw Toralee. She was beautiful, wearing turquoise Librarian robes and long, flowing scales down to her waist. She had captivating blue eyes, yet they were fierce. His thoughts were interrupted when she said with strength:

“Sir, when do I start my training?”

“Uh, well, um...” Xello shook his head clear, “One cycle from now. Suka, find her a bunk. Also, Toralee, have you received your armor?”

“Sir, yes sir. But, if I may ask, what is your name?” Toralee cocked her head.

“Xello (Zel-oh),” Xello raised his mandibles together, the equivalent of a smile.

Toralee stepped past a civilian cargo container, deeper than the military ones, so it carried more weapons. She passed through the door, followed by an expressionless Suka. Xello was left staring after her.

11th age of Restoration
81st cycle, 12:36:98 units (Covenant Calender)

Habitat Deroo, Militia Firing grounds

Toralee aimed a rifle at a target, and fired. A bolt of plasma smashed into the thing, and it melted away. She hid behind a cargo barrel, and soon popped out and fired a quick burst at another barrel, and a plasma coil. She jumped behind cover, letting the rifle cool, and looked to Xello.

“Marvelous, Toralee! Try firing in shorter bursts, and faster. Now, for an exercise practiced for Ages against the enemy!”

Xello lined up a few deployable cover generators, and started them.

“Now, the goal is to take down all of them before one of them restarts. Take down as many as you can.”

Toralee silently opened fire. She took down three, the first popped up. She restarted. This time, by firing faster, in shorter bursts, she took five down, reddening the sixth. However, each time, the first popped up, and she was forced to restart. The highest she ever got was eight of nine, before saying in distress,

“This is impossible! How am I supposed to destroy all the targets?”

“Have you ever heard of Sorran, the brave Librarian warrior? I taught his teacher, Zharn. This technique was indeed used by them, and my other students, less famous, of course.”

“Actually, I’ve never heard of Sorran. But he sounds brave, like you must be.”

“Well, the point of this is to teach students how to fire quickly, and shortly. You did exceptionally well.”

“If this is what it takes...” Toralee sighed massively. This would be a long day.....

Last edited by Nocbl2 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Diary of an Arbiter Empty Re: Diary of an Arbiter

Post by Nocbl2 Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:47 pm

Please Comment!!!
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolverfrog49 Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:53 pm

Interesting, I like the idea of there being a female Arbiter. Keep this up, you're doing great.
Wolverfrog49
Wolverfrog49
Minion

Male Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:01 pm

The next chapter is coming soon!
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolverfrog49 Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Looking forward to it. And I actually am too. Which is rare. Very few fan fics draw me in truly, most I just read for politeness sake.
Wolverfrog49
Wolverfrog49
Minion

Male Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:11 pm

next chapter ready.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by MrX Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Nocbl2 wrote:next chapter ready.

dont rush these things...
MrX
MrX
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3080
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:38 pm

sargentbilco wrote:
Nocbl2 wrote:next chapter ready.

dont rush these things...
Don't worry. The next few will take a while, so... get comfy.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolverfrog49 Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 pm

*Taps foot expectantly*
Wolverfrog49
Wolverfrog49
Minion