Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

DISTRICT 9 - Page 5 Empty Re: DISTRICT 9

Post by Felix on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:40 am

Ringleader wrote:Yeah, there did seem to be a large gap in prawn intellect, like he was a higher caste of prawn, maybe he was just older.

Maybe they all were the same intellegence, but they like to listen to orders I guess. Or maybe the movie didn't really didn't seem to make sense.

Not sure which though...
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Ringleader wrote:Yeah, there did seem to be a large gap in prawn intellect, like he was a higher caste of prawn, maybe he was just older.

which is entirely explained when they were talking about the Prawns as being the workers and that the leadership structure had mysteriously vanished.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Avenged wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:All I can say that hasn't been said before:

District Nine is the first movie I've seen in theaters in TWO YEARS that hasn't disappointed me.

Wow you must see shitty movies
Not in any particular order...
AvP: Requiem
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Franchise
Public Enemies
Jumper (I was driving my brother to the theater to see it)
Terminator: Salvation
Transformers 2 (I just went because I knew the fight scenes would be awesome)
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:53 pm

The way I see it all prawns are intelligent, however malnourishment and poor living conditions coupled with no education or schooling creates the illusion of in unintelligent population. Look at the slums of the world, wouldn't it seem that their inhabitants dull? They would match if no exceed our intelligence if they were raised in our living conditions.

I highly doubt the command structure is genetically more intelligent than the rest of them.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:43 pm

Well Christopher had the command module, the main thing that the ship needed to power up again.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the leadership prawns, espically as not only does he know how to operate the ship, he also has detailed knowledge of the technology, I mean how else could he know about the fluid and it's effects?

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:52 pm

KristallNacht wrote:

which is entirely explained when they were talking about the Prawns as being the workers and that the leadership structure had mysteriously vanished.

Yes, they certainly did THEORIZE that...

along with countless other theories (they did use the word countless or infinite or something)

But, yeah, that probably is the case, I think that this happens with bees or ants, when the queen dies or becomes separate from the insect, it will change into the queen. I think that it was because it released pheromones that acted as inhibitors so the insects wouldn't become queens themselves. Perhaps something similar happens with the Prawn, there leadership disappeared, and there was a lack of control, where some of them could change into the leader, and even reproduce like Christopher Johnson, because the event was abrupt, perhaps multiple prawn could fill the role simultaneously. Was there ever a prawn female? maybe there is a queen or something.

Last edited by Ringleader on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:The way I see it all prawns are intelligent, however malnourishment and poor living conditions coupled with no education or schooling creates the illusion of in unintelligent population. Look at the slums of the world, wouldn't it seem that their inhabitants dull? They would match if no exceed our intelligence if they were raised in our living conditions.

I highly doubt the command structure is genetically more intelligent than the rest of them.

Yeah, If everyone was raised by exactly the same parents in exactly the same social backdrop, you would see how everyone is virtually the same when it comes to intelligent.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 pm

not really at all.

there would still be a vast array of intelligence levels.

like there are some that have to study to understand things, and others can pick it up in like 3 minutes. some are visual learners, and some and more physical learners and so on.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:20 pm

I think that if an experiment were to be conducted that had exactly the same surrogate enviroment, it would be clear that genetics would play little part in the development of people. Twins are 76% more likely to share right and left handedness, so was it the environmental factor that caused this, or a genetic trait? If it were genetic, would they not always be right or left handed together? Whereas their environmental factors are very close to being the same thing. I will acknowledge that there are cases of twins that have been separated at birth, and have very similar likings, and even met each other wearing almost the same clothing, and that genetics can really play a role in hereditary diseases.

Environment plays such a role as that there are no Albert Einsteins in the tribes of South America. Not because of who they are, but how they were brought up. The rules that dictate personal development are fairly universal, but how these rules manifest themselves in stone age cultures and in modern technological cultures are very different. In a (I forgot the specific name) pacific island, there is a culture of people that at birth, decide if their male children will act like men or women, the ones that are decided to act like women are completely indoctrinated to the idea, they wear womens clothing, wear makeup and act like women and appear as though they are completely OK of their role. More so the first sexual encounter with the men (whom act like men) of this culture is very normally with one of these shemen, even if they are not homosexual.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Ringleader wrote:Twins are 76% more likely to share right and left handedness, so was it the environmental factor that caused this, or a genetic trait?

depends, are these fraternal or identical twins?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:25 pm

Identical
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:27 pm

The Prawn's sexuality was rather strange. No females were seen, but sexual dimorphism could be almost nonexistent in that species.

However, we DID have Christopher's son (who was clearly younger than twenty years) and we have the blurb at the beginning of the movie, mentioning interspecies prostitution... showing a female prostitute.

As for command structure, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a difference between drones and scientists/leaders, although I doubt it takes the form of a Hive-Queen structure. Christopher did seem to be working on his own, and he was the ONLY intelligent Prawn shown.

Remember, while other Prawns were asking what "Eviction" was, or signing the papers when offered cat food, he pointed out that the paper said he was supposed to be given twenty-four hours notice.

And then, at the beginning, he was working with another Prawn looking for Prawn tech, but his buddy didn't seem to be able to distinguish between human and Prawn technology.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Avenged on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:24 am

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:The Prawn's sexuality was rather strange. No females were seen, but sexual dimorphism could be almost nonexistent in that species.

However, we DID have Christopher's son (who was clearly younger than twenty years) and we have the blurb at the beginning of the movie, mentioning interspecies prostitution... showing a female prostitute.

As for command structure, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a difference between drones and scientists/leaders, although I doubt it takes the form of a Hive-Queen structure. Christopher did seem to be working on his own, and he was the ONLY intelligent Prawn shown.

Remember, while other Prawns were asking what "Eviction" was, or signing the papers when offered cat food, he pointed out that the paper said he was supposed to be given twenty-four hours notice.

And then, at the beginning, he was working with another Prawn looking for Prawn tech, but his buddy didn't seem to be able to distinguish between human and Prawn technology.

Wow how do you remember that.

Avenged
Minion

Male Number of posts : 983
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:27 am

You cant?

If you want, you can watch the movie online.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:34 am

You must have a really bad memory...

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:33 am

How can't I remember it?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:57 pm

I remember all of those things, but i definitely could by no means recall them all in a single thought train.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:55 am

Just saw the movie on DVD, great movie, I loved it.

Now, someone asked about females and males in the prawn society, rasq right? Well, in the deleted scenes, they went over the reproductive organs. Guess what? They have both male, and femal reproductive organs. Another thing, the prawn have no emotional attachment to the young one, before or after laying the egg. It was 'just a matter of keeping the population in check'.

That raises the question, why did christopher care about his son? It is probably because he is of higher intelligence, or caste in the species.

and sorry for the necro
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:05 am

Gauz wrote:Just saw the movie on DVD, great movie, I loved it.

Now, someone asked about females and males in the prawn society, rasq right? Well, in the deleted scenes, they went over the reproductive organs. Guess what? They have both male, and femal reproductive organs. Another thing, the prawn have no emotional attachment to the young one, before or after laying the egg. It was 'just a matter of keeping the population in check'.

That raises the question, why did christopher care about his son? It is probably because he is of higher intelligence, or caste in the species.

Problably because he needed his son to help the species survive and/or find the liquid to begin with.

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:38 am

And on the question of "what happened?", Neil stated that the idea was that a 'virus' spread through the ship 'and killed off the uppper echelons of their society'. That was directly quoted from Blomkamp directly, so it could be assumed that they have a caste system.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:12 am

See the inspiration for the film here. I've been looking for it for a while and it pretty good.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:55 am

Gauz wrote:Now, someone asked about females and males in the prawn society, rasq right? Well, in the deleted scenes, they went over the reproductive organs. Guess what? They have both male, and femal reproductive organs. Another thing, the prawn have no emotional attachment to the young one, before or after laying the egg. It was 'just a matter of keeping the population in check'.
IIRC, the humans did a lot of 'keeping the population in check' for them, through business and just having fun.
I heard about the unisex thing a few months ago, but now that it's officially Word of God, I guess the argument is over.

I guess I like that explanation, though.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:32 am

Well, I saw the movie on Sunday night, and let me say this: Fan-fucking-tacular.

I loved it, all of it. The effects, the shootouts, the plot, it was all perfect!

Can you believe Ebert didn't like the third act because of the action in it? How the hell do you expect to keep people interested in a Sci-Fi movie with guns and aliens in it, without explosions?
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:40 am

I saw the movie a few days ago. I loved every second of it.
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5