Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reccomend a Book

+8
Angatar
Rasq'uire'laskar
BBJynne
Toaster
Felix
CivBase
KristallNacht
Cheese
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reccomend a Book Empty Reccomend a Book

Post by Cheese Sat May 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Just say the title, the genre, the author, and give the blurb.

Armageddon: the Musical by Robert Rankin. Surreal Humour.

"FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF 2050, YOU'RE HISTORY
Theological warfare. Elvis on an epic time-travel journey - the Presliad. Buddhavision - a network bigger than God (and more powerful, too). Nasty nuclear leftovers. Naughty sex habits. Dalai Dan (the 153rd reincarnation of the Lama of that ilk) and Barry, the talkative Time Sprout. Even with all this excitemment, you wouldn't think a backwater planet like Earth makes much of a splash in the galactic pond.
But the soap opera called The Earthers is making big video bucks in the intergalactic ratings race. And alien TV execs know exactly what the old earth drama needs to make the off-world audience sit up and stare: a spectacular Armageddon-type finale. With a cast of millions - inlcuding you! DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL - IT'S GONNA BE A HELLUVA SHOW!"

Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Time-travel Romance

This exceptional first novel is the story of Henry and Clare, who have known each other since Clare was 6 and Henry was 36, and were married when Clare was 20 and Henry 28. This is possible only because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he flashes to other points in time, usually moments of emotional gravity for him. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing.

Audrey Niffenegger explores the effects this condition has on Henry and Clare's marriage and their passionate love for each other, as the story unfolds from both points of view. Clare and Henry strain to live as normal a life as they can, pursuing goals that will be familiar to most readers - steady jobs, love, good friends, children of their own. That these are all threatened by something Henry can neither prevent nor control makes this story profoundly moving and entirely unforgettable.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Reccomend a Book Empty Re: Reccomend a Book

Post by KristallNacht Sat May 02, 2009 5:40 pm

U R A NIGGER by whitey. rascial slurs

This novel talks about how much of a nigger you are. It makes a convincing case, fer sure.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat May 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Epic Sci-Fi
It's 2070, forty years since a devastating alien invasion was barely turned back, and the world is desperately searching for soldiers to lead them to victory when the "Buggers" come again. That's why they're drafting young children who pass a rigorous screening, and sending the best of them to the orbiting Battle School, where they are trained from childhood to be ready for war in the vertiginous reaches of space.

Into the unending pressure of military training comes six-year-old Andrew "Ender" Wiggin, who struggles to keep his humanity even as the adult teachers, rivals among his fellow students, and the strange unseen influence of the alien invaders all threaten either to destroy him or to make him into someone he can't bear to be.

His genius raises him to the top of the intensely competitive games in the Battle Room, an immense null-gravity chamber where armies of youngsters engage in mock combat. But his real struggles are off the playing field - with a dangerous older boy named Bonzo Madrid who is determined that both he and Ender cannot survive in this place; with his teacher, Mazer Rackham, who won the last war on a fluke and now is trying to prepare Ender to win the next one by skill rather than luck; and with himself, as Ender wrestles with his own demons, desperate to remain a decent human being even as he sees himself being transformed into exactly the same kind of monster as the buggers themselves.

This is an AMAZING book and I suggest it to all of you... though I doubt anyone will actually take my advice because apparently I'm a loony.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat May 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Maximum ride series written by James Patterson. They are so much fun to read.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat May 02, 2009 6:04 pm

2001: A Space Odyssey

By Arthur C. Clarke

Written by man of the 1960's, Space Odyssey describes what might have been a reasonable prediction for the future.

Though highly advanced, the human race has not by any means mastered space travel. It still takes years to reach Jupiter, or Saturn.

2001 is a story of how the human race came to be. Millions of years ago, an ancient alien race brought to Earth a device which would stimulate the minds of our ancestors. They taught us to use tools, and to work with fire.

Now, in 2001, astronauts discover a massive artifact hidden beneath the sands of the Moon. The monolith is unearthed, and found to be perfectly symmetrical, far beyond the abilities of the Human Race. The artifact shatters all beliefs that we are alone in this world.

Dave Bowman, an astronaut on the Spaceship discovery, on its way to Saturn, is made aware of a change in plans. The spaceship is to use Saturn's gravitational field to sling-shot itself along the path to Jupiter, where a second monolith is predicted to be.

These monoliths are artifacts left behind by the same Ancient Race that nurtured the Human race into its modern form. The monoliths are beacons along a path which the human race must follow to reach its destiny....

It is a story of life, human achievement, and the ever-present mystery that exists in our Universe.

It is part of a 4-book series (I'm slowly reading the 3rd) and it is my favorite book.

@ Cheese, 'The Time Traveler's Wife' is both my sister's and her best friend's book. I'll get to reading it as well.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Sat May 02, 2009 6:46 pm

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

features bitching prisoners

nothing is more awesome than that

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat May 02, 2009 8:27 pm

CivBase wrote:
This is an AMAZING book and I suggest it to all of you... though I doubt anyone will actually take my advice because apparently I'm a loony.
Or maybe because we've all read it. Still a very good book.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.
This is an amazing book. Told from the point of view of Red, it's about prison life inside Shawshank, a prison in Maine. The main character is Andy Dufresne, a banker who was wrongfully sent to prison for murdering his cheating wife.

It's a very good book about hope, from an author whose works mainly deal with darkness and terror: Stephan King.

Apt Pupil
Todd Bowen is an apt pupil, the ideal child of a 1970's white suburbia family. He is as good in school as he can be without appearing to be weird to his peers, he's a star athlete at age thirteen, and his teachers are infatuated by him.

Then, one day, he's searching through his friend's garage for a baseball mitt, and he finds a stack of old magazines. As he flips through them, he comes across a number.

He reads it again. Six million people killed. Six million Jews killed.
It must be a misprint, but he can only gasp in awe. He reads more, he tries to find out more at the local library. He is, quite simply, infatuated.

Then, one day, he finds out a secret. A former Concentration Camp officer is hiding in the suburb under the name 'Denker.' After some preparation, he goes to the Officer, the Fiend of Patin. But he doesn't want hush money. He doesn't want to turn him in. He wants more. He wants to know about the shower rooms. He wants to know about the experiments.

And thus begins a dark and mutually parasitic relationship, as both are corrupted to new depths.

Both books are in Stephan King's collection of novellas, "Different Seasons."
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Sat May 02, 2009 9:05 pm

I support CivBase's post about Ender's Game. I just finished reading it, and it was an amazing book.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat May 02, 2009 9:10 pm

rasq wrote:Or maybe because we've all read it. Still a very good book.

I actually haven't read it. The description on the back always turned me off: "EVIL ALIEN BUGGERS!!!"

I might have read it by now, but the ending has been spoiled for me. So meh.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Sat May 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Apt Pupil
Todd Bowen is an apt pupil, the ideal child of a 1970's white suburbia family. He is as good in school as he can be without appearing to be weird to his peers, he's a star athlete at age thirteen, and his teachers are infatuated by him.

Then, one day, he's searching through his friend's garage for a baseball mitt, and he finds a stack of old magazines. As he flips through them, he comes across a number.

It must be a misprint, but he can only gasp in awe. He reads more, he tries to find out more at the local library. He is, quite simply, infatuated.

Then, one day, he finds out a secret. A former Concentration Camp officer is hiding in the suburb under the name 'Denker.' After some preparation, he goes to the Officer, the Fiend of Patin. But he doesn't want hush money. He doesn't want to turn him in. He wants more. He wants to know about the shower rooms. He wants to know about the experiments.

And thus begins a dark and mutually parasitic relationship, as both are corrupted to new depths.

This seems rather interesting actually
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat May 02, 2009 11:15 pm

ReconToaster wrote:
rasq wrote:Or maybe because we've all read it. Still a very good book.

I actually haven't read it. The description on the back always turned me off: "EVIL ALIEN BUGGERS!!!"

I might have read it by now, but the ending has been spoiled for me. So meh.
I recommend you do. The conflict isn't with the Buggers, it's within Ender and the military program.

Lord Pheonix wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Apt Pupil
This seems rather interesting actually
Very interesting.

The most disturbing part is the twisted, hateful relationship Todd develops with his girlfriend... and sex in general.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Sun May 03, 2009 12:44 am

The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pick-Up Artists by Neil Strauss

This book is both a true story, and a life-changing read. Look it up, since there is no way I could do it justice.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sun May 03, 2009 2:42 am

The Lord of the Rings. (Fellowship, the Two Towers and Return of the King.)

Though the first book takes a while to really get going, it does get better the further into it you go. Tolkein is very descriptive of almost every last detail, so you have a clear picture of the setting.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Sun May 03, 2009 4:51 am

KristallNacht wrote:The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pick-Up Artists by Neil Strauss

This book is both a true story, and a life-changing read. Look it up, since there is no way I could do it justice.

That guy is a cunt. Or at least the impression I get from my friendsdescribing him to me makes him sound like a cunt.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Sun May 03, 2009 8:24 am

Ras'quire'laskar wrote:Apt Pupil

[quote]

Who else but Rasq...
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sun May 03, 2009 9:48 am

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

When the NSA's invincible code-breaking machine encounters a mysterious code it cannot break, the agency calls in its head cryptographer, Susan Fletcher, a brilliant and beautiful mathematician. What she uncovers sends shock waves through the corridors of power. The NSA is being held hostage...not by guns or bombs, but by a code so ingeniously complex that if released it will cripple U.S. intelligence.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Sun May 03, 2009 9:55 am

CivBase wrote:Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

When the NSA's invincible code-breaking machine encounters a mysterious code it cannot break, the agency calls in its head cryptographer, Susan Fletcher, a brilliant and beautiful mathematician. What she uncovers sends shock waves through the corridors of power. The NSA is being held hostage...not by guns or bombs, but by a code so ingeniously complex that if released it will cripple U.S. intelligence.

My brother was reading this. He liked it. Also said the code was 4...

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Sun May 03, 2009 10:42 am

4? That's amazing!
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Sun May 03, 2009 5:18 pm

Cheese wrote:

That guy is a cunt. Or at least the impression I get from my friendsdescribing him to me makes him sound like a cunt.

explain.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Mon May 04, 2009 4:03 am

This came from another conversation, but it explains my viewpoint well enough. Bare in mind I haven't actually read this book, but I've had plenty of arguments with friends trying to convince me he's not like this.

<RandomBloke>'Well according to someone on my contact list's nick on MSN, the meaning (or way) of life is thus:
THE WAY OF LIFE IS GET PISSED AND LAID AND PARTY ALL NIGHT

I see this every day I sign onto MSN. I'm not sure who this is... but I hate them. I hate them with a passion.'

Basically he sounds like s shallow, narcissistic, selfish bastard. No offence to him like Very Happy Although to be fair I should probably read the book before judging him; but that just ain't something I'm willing to do.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Mon May 04, 2009 4:17 am

Cheese wrote:This came from another conversation, but it explains my viewpoint well enough. Bare in mind I haven't actually read this book, but I've had plenty of arguments with friends trying to convince me he's not like this.

<RandomBloke>'Well according to someone on my contact list's nick on MSN, the meaning (or way) of life is thus:
THE WAY OF LIFE IS GET PISSED AND LAID AND PARTY ALL NIGHT

I see this every day I sign onto MSN. I'm not sure who this is... but I hate them. I hate them with a passion.'

Basically he sounds like s shallow, narcissistic, selfish bastard. No offence to him like Very Happy Although to be fair I should probably read the book before judging him; but that just ain't something I'm willing to do.

The character hates the person with the MSN signature? Honestly... if he's shallow and narcissistic for feeling that way... so am I. I can't say I'd be fond of someone who posted that.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Mon May 04, 2009 4:27 am

He was joking... but I see what you're getting at.

PS - the one on msn was a chav, and immediately warrants hating anyway.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Mon May 04, 2009 8:48 am

Cheese wrote:

My brother was reading this. He liked it. Also said the code was 4...

It's actually 3.

I guessed that (informed) long before the characters did

"The prime difference between the atomic bombs" one of which was U-234 and the other of which is U-237

the difference is 3, which is a prime number.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Mon May 04, 2009 8:49 am

Cheese wrote:Basically he sounds like s shallow, narcissistic, selfish bastard. No offence to him like Very Happy Although to be fair I should probably read the book before judging him; but that just ain't something I'm willing to do.

I am so confused.....that this has absolutely nothing to do with The Game, so how did you even make that connection?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Mon May 04, 2009 8:53 am

KristallNacht wrote:
Cheese wrote:Basically he sounds like s shallow, narcissistic, selfish bastard. No offence to him like Very Happy Although to be fair I should probably read the book before judging him; but that just ain't something I'm willing to do.

I am so confused.....that this has absolutely nothing to do with The Game, so how did you even make that connection?

Wrong book perhaps. It was called the Game, but the name Neil Strauss sounded wrong - and I'm pretty sure there was no secondary clause. Yeah, it's probably a different book.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum