Existence of God

Page 1 of 34 1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 34  Next

Go down

Existence of God Empty Existence of God

Post by Zaki90 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Due to all the non-believers of God in the Christianity vs. Islam thread.

You can debate the existence of God here.

I believe in God because if makes sense.

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764
Age : 26
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by CivBase on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:53 pm

mhmm....... no.

You cannot prove he exists, nor can you prove that he doesn't. Thus, this thread is pointless.

_________________
Existence of God Bzsigy2
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Nocbl2 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:00 pm

Exactly. But, If you think, it is against logic. I DO BELIEVE IN FAIRIES lol.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Age : 20
Location : California
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Felix on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:07 pm

I AM A GOD!
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Age : 27
Location : Unlocking Alchemy
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by CivBase on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Nocbl2 wrote:Exactly. But, If you think, it is against logic. I DO BELIEVE IN FAIRIES lol.
I'd love to hear how you came to this conclusion.

_________________
Existence of God Bzsigy2
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by XNate02 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:16 pm

CivBase wrote:mhmm....... no.

You cannot prove he exists, nor can you prove that he doesn't. Thus, this thread is pointless.
XNate02
XNate02
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2345
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by KristallNacht on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:41 pm

I have both proof he exists and proof he doesn't exist
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Location : San Diego, California
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Nocbl2 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:46 pm

DIE THREAD DIE and go to Heaven Lol Very Happy
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Age : 20
Location : California
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Toaster on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:25 pm

CivBase wrote:mhmm....... no.

You cannot prove he exists, nor can you prove that he doesn't. Thus, this thread is pointless.

AGAIN, the question is not whether or not you can disprove it, but whether or not it is a logical conclusion to reach in the first place.

Hell, you can't disprove the idea that we are all in a virtual reality world called the "matrix," but that doesn't give me just cause to believe that we are.

You see, Atheists do not say that THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBILITY OF THEIR BEING A GOD. We simply do not actively submit ourselves to the belief in one. It is not a reasonable conclusion to make.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 26
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Cheese on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:40 pm

Question. If atheists do not actively deny the possibility of the existence of God, what differentiates them from agnostics?

Follow the white rabbit.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Age : 29
Location : Wales
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Toaster on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Cheese wrote:Question. If atheists do not actively deny the possibility of the existence of God, what differentiates them from agnostics?

Follow the white rabbit.

That's why I think the term "agnostic" is completely unnecessary.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 26
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:55 pm

Ah, but you see Recon, many atheists do rule out God as even being a possibility. That is why there is a term agnostic to refer to people who have decided that there is no logical way to prove either side, and have thus decided to sit on the fence.

If we're going to argue logic, I'd say agnostic is the most logical conclusion to come to. Both sides have scientific support, and both sides have holes. So, if you do indeed not subscribe to any finite belief, that would make you an agnostic, not an atheist.

_________________
Existence of God Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 29
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Cheese on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:03 pm

I have a friend who's an atheist and thinks God is impossible. Nothing more fun than saying he has a religious belief in atheism when he's drunk. Good times.

Anyhew, I guess I'd better throw my belief into the ring. I don't subscribe to the whole Christianity thing (pretty much the only one that's even remotely active near me) because I don't like the idea that people only do good things because they want to go to heaven and avoid bad because they fear hell. People are better than that - give them credit!

About a year ago, some religious blokes came to my door and said something along the lines of humans are bad by default. They lost me right then and there. I like people. Sure, they aren't perfect, but who is? (rhetorical:P)

Another thing I don't like is how you're damned if you don't follow a certain teaching in a lot of cases. Most people are the religion of their area or their parents. Some people in the middle of the rainforest somewhere are gonna burn just because they never even heard of religion. This is the main thing that scares me.

I wouldn't try to discourage religion in my environment though. If you ask most people by me if they were religious, they would say 'eh...' It's just not that big a deal. People just get on with it and find their own way.

I also think that children should not get involved with religion. Leave em out of it until they're old enough to make up their own minds. But that's just a side bit. I know a few people who went to Catholic school, and weren't effected by it.

So yup. That's why I don't believe in the church (note church, rather than God pre say).

As for happiness and the meaning of life existence (I don't have too much revolutionary to say on this before anybody gets their hopes up Razz). I'm happy because I believe in Maslow's hierarchy - because it works for me and you can see the different levels working. I'm also a very strong believer in empathy, which at its core is selfish, but oh well because so long as everybody's happy. I'd still sacrifice my own happiness for somebody I love - but that's just part of love, which is daww...

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Age : 29
Location : Wales
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by CivBase on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:32 pm

I do agree with you on that, Cheese.

I am a Christian, but I don't subscribe to the Church. I go to the Church, I'm part of it, but I don't really follow it, as there's some messed up crap that goes on in there.

The idea that people only do good because they want to go to heaven is a Church thing. In fact, somewhere in the Bible (I forgot exactly where, as I'm a Catholic, which means I don't read much of it Razz) it says that so long as you're doing good for a reason, it doesn't really count. Only true integrity.

These same people usually try to tell you that if you sin you cannot go to heaven and the only way out is to go to Church or something like that, which is also dead wrong.

_________________
Existence of God Bzsigy2
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Toaster on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:Ah, but you see Recon, many atheists do rule out God as even being a possibility. That is why there is a term agnostic to refer to people who have decided that there is no logical way to prove either side, and have thus decided to sit on the fence.

If we're going to argue logic, I'd say agnostic is the most logical conclusion to come to. Both sides have scientific support, and both sides have holes. So, if you do indeed not subscribe to any finite belief, that would make you an agnostic, not an atheist.

Problem is, while I won't say it's completely impossible for there to be a god, I will say that I personally think the idea is rubbish, but hey, anything's possible.

Atheists do not believe in a god. I do not believe in a god.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 26
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Cheese on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:20 pm

I suppose the difference is more along the lines of atheists = don't think God is likely. Agnostics = think they're both equally likely.


If that's the case, I'm going with the former.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Age : 29
Location : Wales
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Toaster on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:24 pm

^well defined!

Calling myself agnostic would be a little to soft...
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 26
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Gauz on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:42 pm

This thread will live on, even though the debate is over, only in a forum..
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Cheese, you give people way too much credit. :p

_________________
Existence of God Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 29
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:29 pm

Cheese wrote:
About a year ago, some religious blokes came to my door and said something along the lines of humans are bad by default. They lost me right then and there. I like people. Sure, they aren't perfect, but who is? (rhetorical:P)
Norman Borlaug.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Age : 29
Location : Follow the cold shivers running down your spine.
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:19 pm

For me, I started asking myself this question when I was in 6th grade. I was going through a ton of shit and simply wasn't seeing anything to prove his existence. Of course, I can't really ask that question today since the very day I started questioning was the very day I found out my name literally meant "God is real". Razz

As far as things are logical, most all atheists that I know are not at all open to the idea of God, simply because they automatically classified him as a myth or fairy tale such as Santa Claus. I also find that the majority of these people believe this because they think they are educated and ahead of the mob. Get this, I also find that almost all atheists believe that there is a force that controls the universe. Let them ask themselves, is it more logical for this force to be conscious or not?

First off, I consider science to be flawed and unreliable for many reasons. I will depend on it for physical purposes but in the debate concerning the existence of a higher power I will not base any evidence on it nor will I accept any evidence based on it.

Concerning the church, I believe that it is a good thing to be involved with and worship with other Christians. I believe that God means for us to function as a single entity, for it says it in the Bible. I also believe that it isn't a good idea to base your ideas and beliefs off the beliefs of others, because not only are there people out there that obviously don't get it(in my point of view anyways) but Christianity is meant to be a relationship between you and the one who made you, and your knowledge will come from him if you are listening.

This is my perspective on religion in a nutshell I suppose. Very Happy

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Age : 25
Location : Okinawa, Japan
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Cheese on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:50 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:Cheese, you give people way too much credit. :p

Ok, I'll give you that one Razz

But I still think the majority are decent.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Age : 29
Location : Wales
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Vigil on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:14 am

Zaki90 wrote:Due to all the non-believers of God in the Christianity vs. Islam thread.

You can debate the existence of God here.

I believe in God because if makes sense.

Very well.

Until there is definative scientifical proof in the existance of God, I see no reason to believe.

_________________
Existence of God Viggy
Existence of God House

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Age : 30
Location : Unknown.
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by CivBase on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:45 am

I see a reason. If God does exist, you're going to hell. Am I seriously the only one that sees this?

_________________
Existence of God Bzsigy2
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Cheese on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:22 am

CivBase wrote:I see a reason. If God does exist, you're going to hell. Am I seriously the only one that sees this?

Didn't you say that's one of the reasons you didn't follow the church? If you're a good person it shouldn't matter if you believe something different. Otherwise, if every person in history would get into heaven simply by picking the right religion, then the odds of getting in would still be billions to one - and that's if everyone who picked the right religion got in, which obviously is not the case.

'I'm sorry... the correct answer was Mormon. Mor-mon...'

'Awww...'

But if God doesn't exist (and I devote my life to Him), you lost out on your only existence.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Age : 29
Location : Wales
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Existence of God Empty Re: Existence of God

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 34 1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 34  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum