Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo: Relevance, Part I

+2
PiEdude
Omega 505
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Halo: Relevance, Part I - Page 2 Empty Re: Halo: Relevance, Part I

Post by Omega 505 Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:16 am

Paul Archer paused slightly to stare up at the night sky. The stars were briefly dwarfed by a blaring light that quickly disappeared. He shook his head and wrote it off as a slight concussion and kept moving deeper into the clearing. Archer found Sergeant Haravez leaning against the melted wreck of a warthog. The clearing was littered with bodies and debris, both friend and foe alike. A haze of unease covered the landscape as a light mist rolled across the corpses.

Sergeant Haravez sat slumped forward on the wreckage of a Warthog. The vehicle’s tires had melted to the ground, and the mounted gun on back was nothing but a heap of slag. As Archer neared the sergeant, he noticed a corpsman lying face down in the mud not two feet away from where Haravez was sitting. He reached down and rolled the man over, checking his ID tag. He didn’t know the corpsman personally, but made an effort to remember the man’s face. It wasn’t worth dieing in this war if there was no one to remember what you had died for.

Haravez noticed what Archer was doing and sighed. “You notice anything strange about how he died, private?” Archer looked back at the body, studying it closely. He almost jumped when he saw the bullet holes.

“Wait…” he stammered, “you mean…?”

Haravez nodded, “Yes, he died from friendly fire. I don’t know what the hell is going on here, but it doesn’t feel right. Many of these bodies seem to have been killed by allies. I don’t want to know what must have happened to these men, in order to push them over the edge. Something horrible happened here…”

Suddenly the radio in the Warthog sputtered to life. Captain Cane’s voice came over the intercom, echoing over their personal radios. “This is Captain Cane, The Pearl Harbor and the Hanford have been destroyed. We’re giving you three hours to get what you need and get the hell out of there. Pelicans will begin lifting anyone they can up to the ship in that time. We are sending marked areas where the drop ships will pick up. Good luck marines, we’ll all need it.”

The clearing suddenly light up with a green light on Archer’s tactical scanner. He turned to Haravez just as Linon came jogging up. Haravez shook his head slowly, “I guess we hold the LZ. I hope those Pelicans don’t wait the whole three hours to come get us, who knows what’s out there waiting.” The wind picked up and whipped through the trees, clearing away the mist and revealing more bodies, hundreds of them, some not even from Relevance.

For once Linon was silent. Archer stuttered uneasily, “I guess we found the science crew… What the hell happened here…?”
Omega 505
Omega 505
Minion

Male Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2008-11-21

http://omega505.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Omega 505 Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:27 am

Alpha IV
Base XI
Analysis Lab 7
48 Hours ago

Sara Harsen poured over the object lying on her examination table. The medium sized stone tablet had just come in from the excavation site less then a mile north of the base. It was made of solid onyx, just like the rest of the ruins, but strange etchings flowed across the surface of the artifact, not even metaphorically, the writing actually flowed like water across the rock face.

The instant the rock hit the table, Sara was translating the text. They didn’t know much of the forerunner language, but from what little she could decipher came great knowledge. Two words stood out among the rest, the words “shield,” “sword,” and “ring” were repeated many times over, as well as “ship” and “war.” But none of these were unusual, what was unusual was the string of numbers that followed each word. She’d found them almost two days ago, and still could not make sense of the combinations.

She sighed heavily, drawing the attention of her lab partner Joseph. Joseph was younger then Sara by two years. He served in the UNSC navy before becoming and archeologist to get away from war. He stared at her critically before saying anything. “What’s wrong, figured out that translation yet?”

Sara shook her head, “No, these numbers just don’t make any sense. There’s no pattern at all, it looks like they just picked random numbers and wrote them down.” She passed the paper to Joseph, “See if you can make anything out of this.”

He looked at it for less then a minute. “It’s a set of coordinates. Each word represents a planet, and the numbers are astral coordinates. This is a map.” He passed the paper back to a shocked Sara. He eyed her carefully, “What?”

“How did you figure that out, I’ve been staring at these things for two days, where were you then?” Joseph smiled slightly.

“Here, let me see the artifact…” He reached over and grabbed the stone lightly, lifting it up. Suddenly he froze, his eyes wide and dilated. The artifact fell from his hands. And hit the table surprisingly light.

Suddenly, he lifted and examination lamp off the table and swung for Sara’s head. She moved just in time to miss the blunt of the blow, but it came down hard on her shoulder, breaking it. She cried out, the movement caused the strap camera to fall from her head. Joseph just stared off into space as he brought the lamp down again, and again. Then, he grabbed the stone, put it in a drawer, and left the room like nothing happened.

Present day

Kara Conner removed the tape from the player on the examination table. The Marines around her stood silently, shocked at what they had just seen. Blake was the first one to speak up. “What the hell happened here?”

Kara shook her head slowly, she had seen the tape before, arriving on the planet shortly after the incident occurred. “No one knows what happened, that was less then a day before the Covenant attacked. The science crews began going mad, killing each other for no apparent reason. After they killed someone, they’d return to work like nothing happened. I found the artifact tucked away where Joseph left it. It’s boxed and ready to take up to your ship. We just have to make it to an LZ and get out of here.”

Hawks turned to the squad. “You heard her, let’s get moving. We have less then an hour to gather everything we need and get out of here. Move Marines.” The room scattered to work, leaving Hawks, Blake and Kara alone. They stood silently for some time before stirring again. Blake turned to his sister as Hawks suddenly realized the awkwardness and left the room.

He smiled softly and hugged her. “I thought you were gone Kara. I thought I’d never see you again after what I did.”

Kara smiled back, “Sorry I hit you with a bat.” They both laughed lightly and stood there for a moment longer. “We should get going. There’s still plenty to pack up before the pelican’s get here.”

Blake nodded, and they both left the room to help the rest of the Marines.
Omega 505
Omega 505
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Omega 505 Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:24 am

Chapter 4 has been merged into Chapter 3 and will be the last chapter of this part of Relevance
Omega 505
Omega 505
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Omega 505 Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:43 pm

Present Day

“There’s nothing we can do here… Nothing at all we could do to help these people.” Paul Archer stooped and looked at the ground, realizing that he was standing on someone’s hand. He pushed the thought to the far back of his mind and moved to where the Sergeant was sitting.

Just as he sat, the radio began spouting as the Pelicans came within range. That was when it all went to hell. Plasma lit up the sky as hundreds of Seraph fighter-bombers flocked towards the incoming drop-ships. Most were destroyed instantly, others crashed to the ground engulfed in flames. The radio fizzled out as the fighters jammed the radio. Then a bright light began on the horizon as a shadow crept across the sky. This was the end, and all Private Paul Archer could do was watch, and wait.

[Warning: Tape is about to expire]

“What’s the status on the FTL?” Captain Cane turned to his helmsman.

The ensign shook his head in disbelief, “Only ten percent sir, I didn’t expect we would be leaving any time soon.”

Cane slammed his fist into the console. “Dammit, what are our options Salina?”

“Nothing sir,” the AI manifested at the command console, “We should begin Admiral Cole’s Protocol and prepare for the worst sir.” She shook her head, a calculated movement. “We don’t stand a chance against that many fighters.” She paused for a second before continuing, “A Covenant CCS class cruiser has just crested the planet sir, they’re glassing the surface.”

Cane sat down slowly, considering what he had just heard. “Salina, is it possible to jump Relevance just enough to put her inside that cruiser?” Salina stood for a second before nodding slowly. “Alright, begin the calculations. We pull this off and it will buy the ground teams more time. Patch me through to open communications. Let the bastards listen if they care to.”

“Alright captain, the comm. is open.” Salina dissolved back into the panel to give Cane some room.

“This is Captain James Cane, of the UNSC Relevance to all surviving human forces. Relevance is about to be over come, and our FTL drive is far from charged. There is no chance for escape, not for any of us. I have a plan, it should buy the ground team extra time to get that artifact off this planet. Good luck to you all, and may luck give a damn. To the crew of the Relevance, we knew the risk we were taking when we undertook this mission. Lifeboats are positioned on every deck, you will not be judged if you choose now to use them. We will not survive this next fight, I know this. If you choose to leave, the return to Earth and tell them what happened here today. Tell them of the lives lost to defend their people. Tell them what happened here, so that all may know who we were.” He paused, waiting for the sound of the escape pods ejecting, but no one moved. No one onboard the UNSC Relevance made a sound.

Cane smiled and turned the radio off. It would be the last thing he remembered as Captain of the Relevance. The loyalty of his crew would live on.

[Warning: Tape is about to expire]

Corporal Ellen Hawks held the binoculars to her eyes. The night sky was clear enough to see Relevance as the fighters descended on their pray. Flares of plasma light up portions of the ship as armor plating was melted away. The rest of the squad stared up as Relevance blinked out, and the looming Covenant cruiser burst into flames. Some cheered, others cried out. Yet others still couldn’t absorb what had just happened. Kara Conner wiped a lone tear running down her cheek before turning to her brother and collapsing into his arms. The battle for Alpha IV was over, but the war for the artifact had just begun.

[End of Tape: Record Stored]
[Closing…]
Omega 505
Omega 505
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Omega 505 Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:27 pm

Alpha IV: Glassed Subject 11934
[Playback]

“Is… is this thing one?” a thin women looked into the end of the hand held camera and smiled widely. Her hair flayed wildly down her shoulders and her clothing was caked in mud. “My name is Kara Conner, we are all that remains of the Alpha Four mission.” She panned the camera slowly left. A man in tattered fatigues and worn battle plate stood leaned against a stone structure. He waved slightly and continued talking with the women next to him. She wore much the same thing with her hair done back into a rough ponytail.

“That’s my brother Blake, and Corporal Ellen Hawks,” Kara continued. “They planned most of what’s going to happen. We found this…” She moved the camera to center on the large object that dominated the room they were in. Cylindrical cables extended from the base of the structure and a spherical light floated a bit to the side. Symbols floated aimlessly across the orb. “We still can only assume what it does, but if we’re correct, it just might be a way out of here. Here, take this.” She passed the camera to someone off screen. “You cameraman is now Private Paul Archer, a stray we picked up in the forest on our way here.”

“Hey, we found you. If it hadn’t been for me and my squad, you’d still be wandering lost in the woods.”

Kara smiled broadly and gestured for Blake to join her. “Alright, we’re going to try this now.”

Blake frowned, “Are you sure you want to do this? We have at least five other marines who would be willing to…”

She shook her head firmly. “It’s my fault we’re all here, I will try it first.” She stepped on to the platform, Archer following close behind. Blake positioned himself next to the orb, it lit up as he neared. “Alright Blake, hit it.”

Blake pressed his hand against the soft blue light and the platform lit up in brilliant white and gold rings surrounding Kara. She turned to Blake and mouthed something before vanishing. After hours of study, UNSC professionals figure she said, “I will wait for you… on the other side.”

[End Tape]
Omega 505
Omega 505
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Omega 505 Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:18 pm

-Change of Plans-

Last edited by Omega 505 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omega 505
Omega 505
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Omega 505 Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:34 pm

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1YZ4QH7G

Could someone read this, edit it, and or tell me what you think?
It would be a great favor... thanks.
Omega 505
Omega 505
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Omega 505 Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Wow... I wish I could still write like this =/
Kinda grew out of my style after so long away from writing... May have to get into it again. Forgot my characters and plot so I can't finish this one... kind of depressing now that I think of it
Omega 505
Omega 505
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2