Stem Cells

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Stem Cells - Page 2 Empty Re: Stem Cells

Post by Ryan on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:46 pm

thane321 wrote:i think taking the blood from the umbilical chord is better than dead babies; kinda has less of a... morbid feel.

however, waste not want not.

Although you may have a morbid fell about using aborted fetuses in the research of stem cells, what else would you use it in? Abortion is legal in every state in the U.S, and there is approximately 3700 abortions a day(about 1.3 million a year). So so as long as abortion is legal in the U.S why not use the aborted fetuses in stem cell research?

Ryan
Minion

Male Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Ryan wrote:
thane321 wrote:i think taking the blood from the umbilical chord is better than dead babies; kinda has less of a... morbid feel.

Although you may have a morbid fell about using aborted fetuses in the research of stem cells, what else would you use it in? Abortion is legal in every state in the U.S, and there is approximately 3700 abortions a day(about 1.3 million a year). So so as long as abortion is legal in the U.S why not use the aborted fetuses in stem cell research?
The Nazis had Jews aplenty, and their lives were cheap. So, Hell, why not use them for hypothermia and chemical weapons research.

Because it can be done, and is being done, does not make it right.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Ryan wrote:

The Nazis had Jews aplenty, and their lives were cheap. So, Hell, why not use them for hypothermia and chemical weapons research.

So now we are compairing abortion to the holocaust... nice one

Ryan
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Ryan wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Ryan wrote:

Or Bosnia. Or Rwanda. Or Darfur.

You are killing humans en masse, because they are... inconvenient.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:07 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Ryan wrote:

Or Bosnia. Or Rwanda. Or Darfur.

I am NOT going to argue with you about abortion that is not what this thread is about.

Ryan
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Rasq wrote:Or Bosnia. Or Rwanda. Or Darfur.

Genocide - the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

Do NOT compare the killing of a lifeless embryo to the killing of caring people with families and loved ones.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:11 am

ReconToaster wrote:
Rasq wrote:Or Bosnia. Or Rwanda. Or Darfur.

Genocide - the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

Do NOT compare the killing of a lifeless embryo to the killing of caring people with families and loved ones.
No, he's comparing the killing of something that has the potential to be a caring person with a family and loved ones.

But as Ryan said, that's not what this thread is about.

Also, this does prove my point.
No matter what your personal views on abortion may be, there will always be someone who disagrees, and always someone else who's willing to die just to prevent a few more from happening.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:57 am

Pie is actually correct on this one, no matter what your views are on abortion, using stem cells from fetuses will get stem cell research tangled up in controversy. People will ALWAYS disagree on abortion, this we can agree on I am sure. Therefore would not everyone agree it is preferable to obtain stem cells from alternate sources since we know they are available?

Arguing this further would be idiocy.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:04 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:. Therefore would not everyone agree it is preferable to obtain stem cells from alternate sources since we know they are available?

Not if such stem cells are less effective.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:44 pm

Stem cell research? Yes, it should be done.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by thane321 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:07 pm

ReconToaster wrote:
Dud Doodoo wrote:. Therefore would not everyone agree it is preferable to obtain stem cells from alternate sources since we know they are available?

the stem cells in the blood from the umbilical chord is less effective than embryo stem cells but is far more effective than say, bone marrow.

and i think it's good enough for now.
thane321
thane321
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1142
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:26 pm

The problem I see is that a lot of people turn around as use stem cell research as an excuse for abortion. Because some would try to justify abortion via embryonic stem cell research, even though almost all abortions made in the US are for personal reasons (don't want kids, can't afford kids, don't want my husband to know I was sleeping around, etc).

And technically speaking, Rasq's analogy is somewhat accurate. Jews were dying in Nazi Germany, so some German scientists decided they could at least benefit medically from the orders to exterminate all the Jews. I don't see a lot of praise going to Nazi Germany for their research into hypothermia and other medical fields, which potentially saved millions of lives since we now better understand and can treat the effects of hypothermia, altitude sickness, dehydration, etc.

Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:49 pm

they're separate issues. I'd never and never have used stem cell research as a basis for my abortion related views.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:53 pm

What I have a problem with is comparing the killing of people who CURRENTLY have emotional ties with others, and contribute to society to the destruction of barely living beings. Yes, they have the potential, but to me, that's not nearly the same.

I'm sorry, but last I checked, I don't know any embryos personally.

I do ask this of you: Would you have a problem with people becoming pregnant for the sole purpose of donating the embryo? The "child" had no "potential" to live in the first place, as its destruction was planned from the start.

I'm not suggesting that any percentage of abortions happen for this reason, I'm just wondering what you'd think.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:06 pm

ReconToaster wrote:What I have a problem with is comparing the killing of people who CURRENTLY have emotional ties with others, and contribute to society to the destruction of barely living beings. Yes, they have the potential, but to me, that's not nearly the same.

I'm sorry, but last I checked, I don't know any embryos personally.

I do ask this of you: Would you have a problem with people becoming pregnant for the sole purpose of donating the embryo? The "child" had no "potential" to live in the first place, as its destruction was planned from the start.

I'm not suggesting that any percentage of abortions happen for this reason, I'm just wondering what you'd think.

This is your problem, you always think in the present, and never in the future.
No, they don't currently have any emotional ties, most people don't before they're born, but how are they supposed to make any if they're never given the chance to be out in the world?
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:46 pm

ReconToaster wrote:

They'll do for now. We don't experiment on humans like we do on animals, even though the data would be more effective.
And stem cells created through the method I mentioned would be as effective as the real thing.

And I do have a problem with people conceiving for stem cell research, if that happens, because the embryo still has the potential to grow into a full-grown adult.

It's like a car driving into town, but it hits a landmine. That car had the potential to get into town, and the right to get into town.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:10 pm

PiEman wrote:
No, they don't currently have any emotional ties, most people don't before they're born, but how are they supposed to make any if they're never given the chance to be out in the world?

And being born to a family that can't support them and doesn't want them is going to make them the kind of person that CAN change the world? hardly.

We're over-populated as it is. We should be having FAR more than just 3700 abortions a day. Too many pussies think all life is valuable, when in reality NONE of it is. There is no purpose to anything.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:14 pm

KristallNacht wrote:
PiEman wrote:

And being born to a family that can't support them and doesn't want them is going to make them the kind of person that CAN change the world? hardly.

We're over-populated as it is. We should be having FAR more than just 3700 abortions a day. Too many pussies think all life is valuable, when in reality NONE of it is. There is no purpose to anything.
You know, I can't believe you people wonder why you're the one group that every radical group of religions in the world agrees on wanting to kill.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:28 pm

PiEman wrote:you people

What do you mean "YOU PEOPLE"?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:33 pm

KristallNacht wrote:
PiEman wrote:you people

Last edited by PiEman on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:42 pm

oh...i thought you were talking to me
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Pie wrote:This is your problem, you always think in the present, and never in the future.

The fact is, when victims of the holocaust were taken to concentration camps, they were either killed or emotionally disfigured for the rest of their lives and had to live with terrible pain.

Those who were killed had families who were probably left miserable after what happened.

I care about the feelings of living, breathing humans... not those of things that cannot interpret feelings in any way, shape, or form.

Rasq wrote:And I do have a problem with people conceiving for stem cell research, if that happens, because the embryo still has the potential to grow into a full-grown adult.

It's like a car driving into town, but it hits a landmine. That car had the potential to get into town, and the right to get into town.

In the situation I gave, the only reason that they even obtained the POTENTIAL to develop was because those who bred it did so for the sole purpose of donating it to science. In reality, it never had the potential to live. It would have never even existed were it not for embryonic stem cell research.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:08 am

ReconToaster wrote:The fact is, when victims of the holocaust were taken to concentration camps, they were either killed or emotionally disfigured for the rest of their lives and had to live with terrible pain.

Those who were killed had families who were probably left miserable after what happened.

I care about the feelings of living, breathing humans... not those of things that cannot interpret feelings in any way, shape, or form.

The fact is, Recon, that you continue to use the exact same useless words to counter what I'm trying to tell you.
It has POTENTIAL!
Every single person on the planet now has at one time been an embryo.
At that time they also lacked the ability to sense any emotion.
Yes, I am aware that they are not yet self aware, but it is their potential to be self aware, not their current state of being, but their POTENTIAL future as a human.

Now, breeding for the sole purpose of having an abortion to donate to stem cell research is different.
Whil I still don't think it's right, the baby really has no potential to be a living thing.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:00 am

at least recon is using more than a single word to form his argument Pie

P has had the Potential to ban you from this website on many occations... and yet he hasn't... Just because something has the Potential to do something does not mean there is a reason for it to do something... nor does it mean it has a right for it to do something.

until the fetus is self consious it should not be considered human... and by that time it is consious it is FAR too late to abort

mothers will abort their children weather or not abortion is legal... but now your having girls killing themselves using things like coat hangers... or drinking to kill the babies.... and IF they survive that then they come out of it disfugured, retarded, and hated by its parents...

as long as abortions are legal... and still taking place... we are just wasting the organic matter that could have been used to help save human lives.... what is the difference between using a cadaver to help doctors learn surgery, and using a fetus's cells to help rid the world of cancer and other diseases.... otherwise they just throw the fetus in the garbage when they are done.

hell... we could consider them our little organ doners

Last edited by KrAzY on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:25 am

PiEman wrote:Every single person on the planet now has at one time been an embryo.
At that time they also lacked the ability to sense any emotion.
Yes, I am aware that they are not yet self aware, but it is their potential to be self aware, not their current state of being, but their POTENTIAL future as a human.

Even the Japanese?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next