Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo Wars Demo

+18
team dfc
Onyxknight
thane321
Gold Spartan
Dud Doodoo
Spartan15
Lord Pheonix
Rasq'uire'laskar
L0d3x
KristallNacht
Vtrooper
CivBase
A_Bearded_Swede
KrAzY
Vigil
Toaster
Kasrkin Seath
Rotaretilbo
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Halo Wars Demo - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Wars Demo

Post by Kasrkin Seath Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Vultures=Win

Four of them can destroy a base with their special(assuming you ahve upgraded it)

I have found out a good comparisson for the UNSC and Covenant

UNSC is more of a 'conventional' powerhouse, with basic units who are effective at what they do. This makes the UNSC seem alot like GDI fromt he original C&C

The Covenant has a few super units and powerfull leaders, not to mention good powers. This makes them easily comparable to NOD from the original C&C

Heroic was waaay to easy
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:26 pm

I can't believe you (dud) actually are so stubborn that you don't see the use of the elephant. It's fantastic for those surprise attack scenarios, or just as a support unit for your frontline, spamming fresh marines into the fight when you need them most.

On Heroic, I managed to park one just near the enemy's forerunner supply thing (that I had cleared out with a small strike force of 2 scorps and an elephant). I then quickly trained 5 squads of marines with rpgs and basically wiped out most of his base while his main force was dealing with my own main force.

Oh and once you're used to the game, heroic is indeed not too hard. I look forward to online play.

L0d3x
Minion

Male Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:59 pm

I always seem to have bad luck. I let my friend, who has basically never touched an RTS before, play. I forgot to change the difficulty, so he played against a normal UNSC AI as Covenant. It was a little hard at first, but once he got the hang of things, he massacred them with a Locust, a Wraith, and two Vampires. So then I sit down, and go as UNSC against a Covenant AI. I'm immediately leader rushed, and then constantly rushed by groups of ten Honor Guards. At one point, he destroys everything but my two supply pads and my reactor. I manage to stabilize and expand to the secondary base area, and he destroys it immediately. It takes a few tries before I manage to expand and keep the base alive. Finally, I wipe out his infantry and park a Scorpion in front of his base, just tearing him up, eating his infantry alive as he builds them. I go about, start upgrading stuff, now with a very steady income. BAM! He builds a Scarab. I start desperately trying to spam Vultures, but they're taking so damn long to build. I expect him to go right up the middle, but no, he heads straight for my secondary base. I try to slow it down, but it just starts raping stuff. The mega barrage upgrade takes forever and a day, and by the time I get it and have 3 Vultures queued, it takes out my secondary reactor (and thus my ability to build more Vultures). I managed to take it down with a supply pad still intact, but it was close. After that, I was fed up toying with the AI and just charged in with the Vultures I'd built and wiped him out.

What gets me is that when I played, I knew what I was doing. I used the Warthog and grabbed all the contestable supply boxes first, then gathered the rest. I built turrets immediately. I would have charged the supply pooper earlier, but my Spartans had just cleared out they secondary base area when I was leader rushed. My friend had no idea what was going on, and I only helped him with the basics. He pretty much just spammed Jackals and, lucky him, the enemy AI never built anything but infantry. Just goes to show that sometimes the AI is actually pretty good, and other times its a pushover, even when focusing on the same core strategy.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:24 pm

Turrets are waste of resources early game(for the UNSC especially)
Marines/Warthogs/Flame troops can handle anything
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:11 pm

No, turrets are good against regret and elites, the most commonly rushed units. you couldn't get the firepower and defense of a turret with 250 in marines and warthogs.

As for the elephant, I have seen plenty of uses for it. However, my strategy is turtling, limiting myself to defense and small skirmishes until I get ODSTs. Then I traditionally send in a lone warthog to be followed by an instantaneous helljumper horde. Obviously, once you can drop helljumpers the elephant becomes obsolete. I've started using it more in the bigging though, it certainly does open up many tactical options.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 pm

So, quite honestly, just how much of an edge does a more experienced player have over a noobling? And how much of a deterrent is there against spamming?

These are some of the things I was worried about.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 pm

Well, from what I can tell, an experienced player who knows what to use and when to use it should have a MAJOR advantage over a noobling.

Add in some basic use of tactics and you get an EPIC WIN!

Seriously, the way it's set up gives pretty much every unit a use on the battlefield.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 pm

spamming really is the only strategy

you can't even bait and lure because if you run away and try to lead them away they just lose interest and stop chasing...

the game seems to have been made so that total idiots could play just as well as a pro

seth... theres little basic strategy to do... if i build 20 hornets and attack you are going to die.... if I drop ODST squad after ODST squad after ODST squad... your going to die... 2 scarabs... death

the game is better than I was expecting... but i'm not going to buy it until after the price drops...
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:53 pm

you have not played against another person, just the shitty A.I.

You go ahead and spam them hornets, I'll jsut pop out a few wolverines.
ODST's? A few Flametroops will do the trick(This happened to me once)

2 Scarabs? Counter With Vultures/Powers
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:03 am

Well, what about spamming opposites? Scorpions and Sparrowhawks? And how much of a reward is there for managing your troops, rather than sending them off to die?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:05 am

the ODST's spawn faster than you can build flamethrower troops... and I can drop them BEHIND your base

10 wolverines can be killed by a single cobra... and while the 1 cobra kills the anti air... my 18 hornets would stop anything from getting close to the cobra

the computer had built nothing but vultures... so there were 6 of them vs my 2 scarabs... 4 vultures just barely take down 1 scarab... and it takes 2 super MAC volly's to take down a single scarab... so you will have just wasted all your rescources / pop cap to take out 1 of 2 units that can take down your base in 20 seconds... NVM what would happen if I had built a few engineers to follow my scarabs around

@rasq

theres no reward... no experiance save for a star showing up above their head... but no noticable difference in damage... or auto healing or anything like that
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:11 am

To get ODST's would require a full tech tree right?
That means by that time I would have the reinforcement tech researched and my troops would be trained faster. NTM a few vehicles would destroy your ODST as they hit the ground. Lets not think abotu what a spartan would do... especially one with a laser

Keep in mind ODST's can only be deployed within line of sight. No line of sight near my base, no ODST's near my base.

That Cobra? Easy to take down. Its called a MAC blast. Then I just move my wolverines int postion while supporting infantry move in as well.

I used one vulture to destroy two scarabs, and you will tell me it took four> something is wrong there.

Also, two scarabs take up all of the pop cap of the covenant. No population left for engineers

not to mention I would have already launched an attack before you got to the third tech level(UNSC can advance much faster) and I would have other units taking care of your base.

btw, you already disproved your point of it having no strategy. I offered a counter to your initial setup, and youcountered what I said with your own set-up and strategy.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Alright, face each other in five skirmish battles, and report back.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:32 am

There aren't a lot of unit choices, and spamming is actually promoted in the scrolling tips twice. Against the AI, spamming is the best strategy, because the AI tends to spam, and so by spamming the counter unit, they're pretty much SOL. However, against a human player that knows their stuff, spamming will be much less effective, because every unit has a counter. The Scarab is really the only thing hard to counter, but in the time it takes to walk to a base and take out the turrets, you can have one or two Vultures. Tactically, that is about enough to take on a Scarab. The key is to use the base lock so that they don't pop out one at a time and get raped separately. That is something I haven't gotten used to yet, but that can be key when you're being camped. Hit the lock, build some troops, and when you have a few, unlocked.

And KrAzY, you should know full well the AI is crap. Even on the hardest difficulties, when playing an AI, there are certain things they just don't get. AI don't get better because they are smarter, they get better by having their accuracy and build times improved. I once took down two Vultures with a Scarab that had an empty health bar. In a later game, I took down a Scarab with two Vultures easy. If the AI knew how to make proper use of the barrage, it'd be more effective.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:16 am

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Alright, face each other in five skirmish battles, and report back.

Demo doesn't have multiplayer alas, imo they should have just left the campaign out and had multiplayer in.

L0d3x
Minion

Male Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:33 am

Hmmm....
Next time I play I'm gunna try to build 7 warehouses, a summit, and a temple right off the bat. Upgrade the warehouses, upgrade the ages, then grab me a scarab and a few vampires.

I wanna see how many viable tactics I can come up with before the game comes out.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by team dfc Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:50 am

Kasrkin Seath wrote:

Also, two scarabs take up all of the pop cap of the covenant. No population left for engineers

covenant have a 50 cap limit Razz
team dfc
team dfc
Minion

Male Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:17 am

2 scarabs take up 40 of the 50 pop limit
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:03 am

It's 60 if you can get followers...

About Seath dissing my helljimpers, first off the only vehicle that can do SHIT against ODSTs are scarabs, while the ODST RPGs can take out anything, in the air or on the ground. Not to mention they have shotguns and a large squad size to fight infantry, and when they aren't fighting they heal themselves.

It would be impossible to kill them nearly half as fast than I can drop them. They literally spawn as fast as I can press the darn button.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:12 am

Actually, I think the Covenant's pop cap is 40 and you can upgrade it to 50, because I know that with full tech, you can still only have 2 Scarabs.

Anyway, I'd research tactics and all that whatnot, but my XBL expires like a week or two after release, because I used my one year gold subscription when they told me I was going to be in on a top secret testing thing. Needless to say, I probably won't get much chance to play multiplayer.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by team dfc Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:29 am

I was just saying you can have engineers to repair you scarabs cause you can upgrade your pop limit

The ODST are yes good with awsome god spawning but not unbeatable*rembers cleansing beam of rapage*

spawning flamethrowers or other anti infantry could stop it

How does everyone feel about the vulture? I think it is a battle changer but not as much as a scarab
team dfc
team dfc
Minion

Male Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:49 am

The vulture sucks when you're playing against it, but it usually only gets excessive use by the AI if it gets control of all three bases, something I found out the hard way. You want to secure that base next to your own right away on heroic, then you get a huge boost and can win easily.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:50 pm

CivBase wrote:The vulture sucks when you're playing against it, but it usually only gets excessive use by the AI if it gets control of all three bases, something I found out the hard way. You want to secure that base next to your own right away on heroic, then you get a huge boost and can win easily.

Hey Civbase, wasn't the covenant "Ages" thing your idea?? Cause I remember awhile back that you made a thread about upgrading through ages or something, as a suggestion.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:51 pm

I played, and it's suprisingly good.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:01 pm

PiEman wrote:I played, and it's suprisingly good.

I find it rather amusing to a small scale that most of the seniors who were either worried about the game, or just downright hated it have played the demo......and liked it.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next