Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was bored. (IN)

+6
Vigil
PiEdude
CivBase
tiny tim
Lord Pheonix
BBJynne
10 posters

Go down

Was bored. (IN) Empty Was bored. (IN)

Post by BBJynne Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:49 am

An analysis of IN

IN, meaning Imperium Nova, Innate Nations, and INspace, has proven to be very popular among TCF members. We are going to explore the possible reasons for its popularity.

The IN system allows its players to experience nearly unlimited freedom in a persistant game setting. Unlike games with mostly set (such as D&D) or programmed rules (computer games), IN lets its players interact with a human to create a dynamic control system. The player's imagination is really the limit with their nation and characters, as in none of the INs so far has there been any major rules to keep customization from occuring. For people who like to make stuff and design their nations, or even create numerous amounts of detailed characters, descriptions of military units and technology, national holidays, and other fun things, this can consume a lot of time and be very entertaining and addictive. Also, having put effort into the nation, these players then are invested in trying to make it do well, which causes them to care more about the game.

IN's system encourages creativity, role-playing, strategizing, and intrigue at the same time. These varied opportunities for fun keep players interested in many different ways. This attraction to multiple types of players can be seen by their nation actions. Some will focus on domination and the more mechanical gameplay aspects, others will try to have master plans of espianoge or forge alliances, or just role-play out the difficulties of controlling a nation and conducting day-to-day business, develop totally radical or plausible technologies and programs, play as cunning military leaders, and so on with other possiblities. Most players tend to combine many of these ways to play, as they are not exclusive from each other. With such a wide variety of ways to play, it's no wonder that IN doesn't get dull even after months of playing.

The real-time nature of the format encourages player activity. Players must stay active to stay competitive, if that is their interest. The knowledge that the other players are advancing and producing and gaining an advantage while a player is inactive causes players to be ridiculously overactive in the game. Additionally, being online while the host is gives players the opportunity of being able to discuss the game's workings with the host and getting faster responses to their actions. I have observed players altering their sleeping schedules to be online while the host is, or to stay up extra late waiting for a game action response.

IN is crack.

So why do the INs go away? Simply put, host failure. There have been three main IN games, and all of them were quite healthy and active until the game master stopped being highly responsive to prayers. In the case of Imperium Nova and Imperium Nova 2.0, the host simply disappeared. During 1.0, Rotaretilbo took up hosting for awhile and the game continued without its original leader, but he stopped updating too after awhile (I believe because he realized that OB wasn't coming back) and then OB deleted everything on the site too. Innate Nations went away because the host was trying to make up everything and kept on avoiding it, until eventually just calling it done with after several stops and starts. Dragoon's INSpace will probably die as well when or if he feels overwhelmed, but he has added a secondary moderator who isn't playing, so that may change the host-to-player dynamic of the IN system.

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Was bored. (IN) Empty Re: Was bored. (IN)

Post by Lord Pheonix Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:15 am

In conclusion, Mafia Rocks.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:18 am

Mafia doesn't work when players don't do anything (or in Half Life's case, the host). That happened. Sad

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 am

I would like to point out that there are currently two inactive mafia games.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:41 am

And i'd like to point out the 20+ games that FINISHED.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:42 am

I think all of the IN games technically finished, since they were designed to be played until they just died out.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:56 am

Dragoon has made a few changes though, which should ease the burden on himself and Rock. Hopefully.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Mafia's not as fun though ;_;
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:31 pm

I liked mafia a lot on the middle games back when activity was high, and many of us were getting better at it, but before we started just metagaming and targeting the same people over and over.

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:07 pm

BBJynne wrote:I liked mafia a lot on the middle games back when activity was high, and many of us were getting better at it, but before we started just metagaming and targeting the same people over and over.

That's because it was the same faces over and over who were always suspects.

How many times did Krazy or Rot get targeted? As that really hurt the last couple of games.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:28 pm

I was targeted by 5 different people in 1 night in one of Rot's games (still lived bitches!)
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Vigil wrote:
BBJynne wrote:I liked mafia a lot on the middle games back when activity was high, and many of us were getting better at it, but before we started just metagaming and targeting the same people over and over.

That's because it was the same faces over and over who were always suspects.

How many times did Krazy or Rot get targeted? As that really hurt the last couple of games.
After about 5 games in a row of me dying on the first night, I just stopped signing up. Then someone convinced me to try one more time... and I died on the first night again. FML.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:45 pm

I oddly enough never really get killed at night.....

Though im usually Iron or stone and lie saying im Iron.......

But yeah, games got boring once we all got used to a playing according to a certain formula.

Best way is to only have the mafia have one kill ability and no one else can. That way everyone isn't dieing, only one a night and the rest is according to the town lynches.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Yah, I think a lot of mafia mods put in too many killers and made too much happen. People just kinda gave up, cuz it's extremely easy for scum to hide when there's a billion things happening.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:03 am

CivBase wrote:Yah, I think a lot of mafia mods put in too many killers and made too much happen. People just kinda gave up, cuz it's extremely easy for scum to hide when there's a billion things happening.

What about if we made it simpler. One kill action, one mafia, everybody else town.

That way it's harder for the mafia to hide, as every time he makes an action he's risking exposing himself, and it's a bit fairer on town as they don't get all murdered off in the first night.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:59 am

Vigil wrote:
CivBase wrote:Yah, I think a lot of mafia mods put in too many killers and made too much happen. People just kinda gave up, cuz it's extremely easy for scum to hide when there's a billion things happening.

What about if we made it simpler. One kill action, one mafia, everybody else town.

That way it's harder for the mafia to hide, as every time he makes an action he's risking exposing himself, and it's a bit fairer on town as they don't get all murdered off in the first night.

Played that before, but in Halo 2 and Doom. We called them Ripper games Razz.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:31 pm

Vigil wrote:

Those games tend to have lots of vanilla townies which no one likes to play.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:48 am

I resent that. Half-Life may have been a failure, but it was just as much the players fault as mine.

Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:23 am

Gauz wrote:I resent that. Half-Life may have been a failure, but it was just as much the players fault as mine.

You left as the host. Your fault.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Elabajaba wrote:
Gauz wrote:I resent that. Half-Life may have been a failure, but it was just as much the players fault as mine.

You left as the host. Your fault.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:18 pm

There may have been some issues in some games, but L4D Mafia has been wholly a player activity issue. I've had absolutely unacceptable activity from about half the players (three of whom HAVE NEVER ONCE POSTED IN THE THREAD!). Moreover, when it finally went to night, I literally received no actions. The game is perfectly fine, otherwise. The players just aren't trying.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:07 pm

I left because everyone else quit.

Seath, that includes you.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down